Steam Beer with German Ale Wyeast 1007?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertjohnson

Reaction score
I got Wyeast 1007 to brew either a kolsch, altbier, and biere de gard but don't have any german pils. I know it wouldn't be exact, but I'm not trying to brew a BJCP-approved clone of Anchor Steam anyway. I'm just wondering if it would get me close.

Any experience with fermenting this at the low end of the temperature range? Apparently this can produce a clean, crisp, lager-like beer with some sulphur at the low end and emphasizes the malt. Especially as a hybrid, it sounds like it would produce something similar but different. Any ideas?

I might just try this anyways and write it up. I'll be using Jamil's recipe, which is supposed to be bigger than Anchor Steam. And just out of curiosity, HAS ANYONE TRIED MAKING A STEAM BEER WITH A YEAST OTHER THAN SAN FRANCISCO LAGER YEAST? (Caps to help anyone skimming through get to the main question.) Thanks!

To answer my own question, I brewed up Jamil's steam beer and fermented it with saflager 23 at 58. Mashed it with a 30-45 hochkurz schedule and boiled a thin decoction of just liquid for the mashout. Definitely among the best beers I have ever brewed, so yes it can be done.

And for the record, I did a side by side tasting with Anchor Steam just to see how far off I was. Very close actually. Mine was bigger, just a touch sweeter despite having a lower final gravity, and a little hoppier. Couldn't tell a difference in the fruitiness thrown by either yeast. I preferred mine, but then again, I brewed it.

Latest posts

Back