Agitating Wort after Pitching Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vorsicht709

Reaction score
I wanted a simple batch of beer for christmas, and decided to try a beer kit from Brewhouse (www.thebrewhouse.com).

It comes with a packet of coopers dry yeast. To pitch the yeast it suggests "Sprinkle yest over the surface of the wort. Do not stir."

I was just wondering why it would say not to stir after pitching the yeast?, I always thought you were supposed to?

Also, would there be any benefit to rehydrating the yeast beforehand??

Thanks alot.

Who knows. Rehydrate the yeast, pitch it, and shake the living Christ out of the fermenter for as long as your arms can stand. You want to aerate it as well as possible for proper fermentation.

You're not going to hurt anything this time by shaking it right after pitching, other than possibly getting the dry yeast "stuck" to the sides of the fermenter which aren't in the wort, just get in the habit of aerating it before you pitch.

Good post here on simple cheap aeration:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-aeration-gadget-68218/

Read through the whole post, lotsa experimentation done there.

i usually aerate before pitching my yeast... also, i remember hearing that if you are gentle with dry yeast (rehydrate and gently stir after 15 min), it will end up with a higher cell count, so those directions might have some merit.

Who knows. Rehydrate the yeast, pitch it, and shake the living Christ out of the fermenter for as long as your arms can stand. You want to aerate it as well as possible for proper fermentation.

Dry yeast does not require aeration.
As quoted from Danstars faq-

I always aerate my wort when using liquid yeast. Do I need to aerate the wort before pitching dry yeast?

No, there is no need to aerate the wort but it does not harm the yeast either. During its aerobic production, dry yeast accumulates sufficient amounts of unsaturated fatty acids and sterols to produce enough biomass in the first stage of fermentation. The only reason to aerate the wort when using wet yeast is to provide the yeast with oxygen so that it can produce sterols and unsaturated fatty acids which are important parts of the cell membrane and therefore essential for biomass production.

So in that case is rehydrating the yeast necessary?

Here's what I think... in most cases, dry yeast should be rehydrated before pitching but I never do that. I sprinkle the yeast on the wort and wait about 15-20 minutes for it to re-hydrate in the wort itself.

THEN i shake the hell out of it to aerate and mix it up. Hasn't failed me yet...

I'm pretty sure that all yeasts require aeration... liquid yeast just requires a lot more oxygen (and almost always a starter) because the amount being pitched is much lower than dry. But aeration is always beneficial and necessary.

Back