Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeves1982

Reaction score
When fermenting an all I know you leave the beer in the fermenter until it's done which usually happens within a week. I know you aren't supposed to leave beer in a plastic fermenter for more than 2 weeks because plastic can breath. The part I'm confused on is, when you're lagering are supposed to switch to glass after 2 weeks even if it isn't done? Are you supposed to start with glass and let it finish? or Do lagers still usually finish within 2 weeks anyway? When doing an Ale I usually go one week in a plastic primary then rack into a glass carboy for another 3 weeks. What's a good schedule for a lager?

Thanks,
Mike

For lagers, I like to leave them in primary at 50 degrees until they are 75% of the way to FG, then raise the temperature to the low 60s for a diacetyl rest (if I'm doing one). Then, when the beer has reached FG and the diacetyl rest is over, I rack to the carboy and begin lagering.

I like to lower the temperature 5 degrees per day until I'm at 34 degrees, then I lager for about 6-12 weeks. I learned to lager for one week for each 10 points of OG. So, for a lager with an OG of 1.060, I lager for at least six weeks. Then, I either keg or bottle.

Where did you hear that you shouldn't leave beer in plastic more than two weeks? Not true.

With ales, I just leave them in the fermentation chiller at 62*F for three weeks, then keg.

For lagers, I leave them in the chiller for about 12 days at about 48*F or so, then give it a D-rest, then drop it down to 35*F for a crash cool, then keg it. Stick the keg in the kegerator for six weeks, and you have love in a glass.

:mug:

For lagers, I like to leave them in primary at 50 degrees until they are 75% of the way to FG, then raise the temperature to the low 60s for a diacetyl rest (if I'm doing one). Then, when the beer has reached FG and the diacetyl rest is over, I rack to the carboy and begin lagering.

I like to lower the temperature 5 degrees per day until I'm at 34 degrees, then I lager for about 6-12 weeks. I learned to lager for one week for each 10 points of OG. So, for a lager with an OG of 1.060, I lager for at least six weeks. Then, I either keg or bottle.

How do you know when the D-rest is over? Do you need to do a D-rest?

With mine I have pitched a good amount of yeast at 55F or lower, let fermentation start at 48 or so and as fermentation progressed let the temp rise to 55F or so. I have done D-rests at higher temps but with the yeast I have used so far I think it's totally unnecessary. I let it hit FG (see FFT) and crash it to near freezing for a week or more then bottle (adding 2-3 grams fresh dry yeast.) Once they are carbed (one week) I will lager them in my beer fridge longer if necessary.

+1 on Cpt Kirks. A secondary does more harm than good. it's another chance for contamination and oxidation. Also, it's more work. Plus beer likes to sit on the yeast for a little while to clean up it's own byproducts. I think it's actually better for the beer to not secondary. I can't think of one reason to secondary most beers.

If you pitched the right amount of clean healthy yeast you shouldn't have any issues leaving it in the primary until it's completely done with fermentation. Do a D rest, crash cool, keg, lager and then drink.

Back