Size and OG of a Mead Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsta Porter

Reaction score
Thanks for the assistance!

I plan on making a dry mead using Wyeast 4632 and about 12 pounds of honey for a 5 gallon batch.

I assume that I have to make a starter. How large of a starter do you make? I plan on using honey for the starter. What should the OG be? Do you add any nutrients to the starter?

All the Best!

When mt buddy and I brew together he always makes a starter. That comes from his beer brewing background
When I brew myself I rehydrate per package instructions and pour into the must.

I haven't had any problems yet? (knock on wood)

Good luck

My $.02

D

I have never made a starter and never have had issues either. Rehydrate and staggered nutrient additions are the best

I've only made two batches so far, but I've never made a starter. I do, however, study the sticky's at the top of this forum, and follow the staggered nutrient addition. Tried and true methods come through everytime.

Great,thanks, all sound like great advice. I will check out the Brewing Networks podcast, can't believe I missed that one. The difference with this batch is that I am using a liquid yeast, the Wyeast. I was unsure if that will make a difference, and needed to be upped in order to pitch at the correct rate.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back