Buying Ingredients Online

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfargo

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone is like me, living in the back country with no specialty brew shops around? As a result, I have a hard time getting my hands on certain specialty ingredients for my new brewing hobby. I am mostly looking for flavouring malts (such as chocolate) as well as plain old malto-dextrine, and was wondering if anybody new of any online brew stores that had this sort of thing., I have had a look around, but could not find any flavored malts specifically, although I did see malto-dextrine

edit: Keep in mind, I am looking for powdered malt, or malt extract to add to the wort before primary fermentatio

Cheers!

Well, I live in the city and prefer ordering online vs my two local home brew shops. I haven't found one around me that I really like and know I am getting good prices. The folks at Midwest have been great to me and have great email support. I have yet to find an ingredient they do not have. People report good experiences with Austin and Northern, but I have yet to order from them. I know Austin is a member here and responds to many posts.

Here are your chocolate malts:

Roasted Malt :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

If I'm ordering enough to warant the extra shipping for mail order, I've been sticking with Northernbrewer. There's also Austin Homebrew, Morebeer, Brewmaster's Warehouse (if you're not a GA resident), Midwest Supply, and even more internet stores if you google!

Edit....oh, I see by back country, you mean Canada....well you might want to try this site: http://www.mashingheads.com/

+1 on Midwest Supplies

Everything I've ordered (save for this last recipe bill I'm waiting to arrive) I've ordered from MWS. They ship very quickly, and everything is assembled as promised. They also have a good collection of Extract Ingredient Kits.

Very recently, I ordered a set of ingredients from two online sources. Austin for just about everything I needed (except the Maris Otter malt extract I need). I really liked Austin's ordering process, it offers a lot of flexibility. I ordered my Maris Otter extract from Williams, but found that their grain and hop selection was limited.

edit: Keep in mind, I am looking for powdered malt, or malt extract to add to the wort before primary fermentatio

Cheers!

I've not seen anyone anywhere selling specifically "flavored" extract in any form beyond light, amber, dark, various pale malts, wheat etc. typically to be used for base malt. You would have to use specialty malt (grain form) for chocolate, roasted, smoked, black, etc, etc, etc. to be steeped or mashed.

+1 to Northernbrewer.

All of the sites mentioned are great as far as I know, but I am very partial to Northernbrewer b/c they have been great so far and their phone support guys (and girls) are great!!

I've not seen anyone anywhere selling specifically "flavored" extract in any form beyond light, amber, dark, various pale malts, wheat etc. typically to be used for base malt. You would have to use specialty malt (grain form) for chocolate, roasted, smoked, black, etc, etc, etc. to be steeped or mashed.

I dont think that you will find anyone selling "flavored" extract. Most extract kits come with 5-7#s' of your base malt extract(LME or DME) and roughly 1# of steeping specialty grains(flavored).

Here is another good site. This is where I get all of my supplies.
Brewstock Beer and Wine Homebrew Supplies: Equipment & Ingredients in New Orleans, LA

Cheers!

I dont think that you will find anyone selling "flavored" extract. Most extract kits come with 5-7#s' of your base malt extract(LME or DME) and roughly 1# of steeping specialty grains(flavored).

Here is another good site. This is where I get all of my supplies.
Brewstock Beer and Wine Homebrew Supplies: Equipment & Ingredients in New Orleans, LA

Yea . . . . that's what I said, responding to OP's question above . ? ? ?:D

Back