Lagering 1 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prowersbrewer

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just purchased a 1 gallon all grain set up. I was just curious as to the whole lagering process. I will be brewing a german pilsner. My recipe is 2 lbs of Rahr premium pilsner malt, 1 oz of saaz hops, and White Labs WLP830 German Lager yeast. I was wondering how long to lager it for in the primary fermenter. If I need to put it in a second fermenter? Do I need to do a diacetyl rest and what would be the benefits in a small home brew batch? Do I need a yeast starter for a littler batch, or will the tube be enough? Do I lager it at 40-45 degrees or a different temperature? Any info would help . Thank you

Get prepared for a myriad of different answers.

I ferment 12 days at 52 F
Diacetyl rest 2 days at room temp
Cold crash for 1 week adding gelatin for fining
Keg
Add gelatin again to keg
Drink a few days later

Yeah. I figured I would get a lot of different answers. I Just wanted a general guide line. Would it be ok to just go from the d-rest right back to cold crashing or would I have to slowly ease it back down to crashing temp? Say 5 degrees every day.

I'm a longtime homebrewer but new to lager with my first one in primary doing the slow-roll creeping along. Dang wlp820!!! So take my lager-words with a grain of salt.

I think it ferments till it begins to slow then you let it rise to room temp. My understanding is a lot of lager homebrewers once the beer hits 50+% of its expected attenuation allow/raise the temp to a diacetyle rest temp where they let it finish.

Brew the beer at 49-54 F.
Lager the beer at 30-35 F.
Transfer to secondary and lager in the secondary. The good news for you is a secondary is a 1 gallon jug you toss in the back of the fridge.
You'll need to talk to someone else about re-pitching yeast for bottle conditioning.
If the tube is fresh it should be enough for a 1 gal batch (this is off the cuff without running numbers).
Go to brewtoad.com and input your recipe information, paying attention to aau units on your hops, to examine what you're actually making with your recipe.
Check mrmalty.com for yeast-pitch rates. Just like the brewtoad recipator simply enter your quantities & info for good accurate information!

Good luck.

Fwiw of all things to brew small-batch, and I'm a SB fan, a lager is the last thing I'd do!

Back