Lagering an Alt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccullpl

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just brewed an Alt (Northern Brewer extract kit), and it's fermenting away at 60 deg. I plan to wait about two weeks, and then transfer to secondary (probably a keg), and lager.

What is the best procedure for lagering? Step the temp down a degree or two a day, until I hit my target temp, and leave it there for a few weeks? ...or do I just 'cold crash' it down to temp? And what would the ideal temp be?

Thanks!
Pat

Kolsch/Alts/Ca Commons are an exception. With hybrid lagers, I'll only lager them for 4 weeks.

Yooper, I'm actually using US-05, but I assume that wouldn't change anything. Sounds simple enough!

Thanks!

Yooper, I'm actually using US-05, but I assume that wouldn't change anything. Sounds simple enough!

Thanks!

S05 at 60 degrees gets sort of "peachy" and I'm not a fan. That's pretty low for S05. I'd try to ferment it at 65, if using S05. Alts should be super "clean" and commonly yeast strains like a kolsch yeast or Wyeat 1007 are used. S05 can get fruity if fermented cool, out of place in an alt.

I didn't realize S-05 produced 'off-flavors; at colder temps. I'll kick it up to 65 when I get home. Hopefully not too late to do that. This is only my 6th batch, and just when I think I've got the basics figured out, I learn something new!

Back