US-05 in an American Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Reaction score
Would US-05 be a good yeast to use in an American Wheat. I have a few packages of this on hand and would like to use it if I could. Here is the recipe if you guys want to check it out. Any pointers are appreciated.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 43.48 %
5.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 43.48 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
0.38 oz Chinook [11.00 %] (60 min) Hops 13.9 IBU
0.25 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (60 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
0.25 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

I think US-05 would make a good American Wheat. However i would consider the 15min and 0min hop additions. A wheat doesn't generally have much hop character.

US-05 is great in an American Wheat, but that's the recipe for kind of a Wit with crystal.

An traditional American Wheat would be

5lbs Pale
5lbs Wheat Malt

and around 22 IBUS bittering with a light citrus hop note for flavor/aroma. US-05 goes great with that fermented around 65*F. Basically my house wheat @ 78% efficiency because the missus doesn't like the clove/banana of hefes. If finishes clean and is a very popular beer with BMC drinkers while still being drinkable by a "beer snob."

US-05 with a wit would be ok but you'll be missing the ester profile that IMO makes a wit. You may have a "better' Blue Moon right there.

Thanks for the tips guys. This is actually loosely based on a Bell's Oberon clone that I found online. I wrote it down before I bought Beersmith, and missed the yeast that it called for. Just for knowledge sake, does anyone know what yeast Bell's uses for Oberon?

I think US-05 would make a good American Wheat. However i would consider the 15min and 0min hop additions. A wheat doesn't generally have much hop character.

lots of american wheats do. no true hefeweizen should, tho.

looks like a good recipe...does look quite a bit like a wit.

I have a question for you guys.

Should I leave my flame out hops as is, or should I add an American "C" hop for the citrusy aroma?

Back