drying hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrfish

Reaction score
Seriously considering planting some hops early spring, something I've always wanted to do, finally have some space...

Question about drying: will a regular food dehydrator work or will the heat damage the hops? More questions to come I'm sure!

depending on how many you plant and how high your yeild, you can just get by with laying them out on a flat surface in a non humid environment.

I planted four rhizomes and got probably about 10 oz to a pound of hops in total over two harvests - one in mid aug and one in late sept. As these were picked i laid them out on some rectangular box lids, flipped them over after a few days, let them dry for a few more, bagged and froze them without worrying too much about how much air was left in the bag.

Larger harvests require more space and I've seen people on this forum use screens and fans to dry and vacuum sealers to package. If your like me though, you'll use most of your 1st year hops within a month or two of harvest and these wont be issues you'll have to deal with.

Hmm not humid, don't think that's going to happen in South Carolina...might need to use the dehydrator

Was planning on planting 2 mounds 2 rhizomes each of fuggles and goldings

I'm hoping for about pound yield from both mounds combined.

thanks for the info.

In my case the AC in the house took out enough humidity to dry the hops. It gets pretty sticky round these parts in summer, though i guess not like where you're at.

Also upon further review i got about 8-10 ounces, i miscalculated the amount of hops i put in my last batch when adding them up in my brain.... still with 4 rhizomes and ideal conditions i don't suppose a pound is out of the question. They say the 3rd year is when they really take off....

Back