Completely Digital Brewery with Software..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schweit

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I'm new to this forum have read some threads on here but have never posted anything. I decided awhile back to try and make a brewing setup and after visiting theelectricbrewery.com I loved the idea of an electric brewery. I like how Kal made his, but I thought it could be achieved cheaper, with a lot less wiring, and way more features. So I decided on a HERMS setup with an Arduino based controller and custom Software. To date, I currently have the Stand, Control Panel, and Software "BrewSomething" BETA completed. Items to go include, installing elements, HERMS coil, and run the 50A outlet. Then a ton of testing.

Below is the system so far. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

IMG_0187_zpsf4b0d967.jpg

IMG_0188_zps734f457a.jpg

IMG_0191_zps775063d8.jpg

IMG_0193_zps00d66b15.jpg

Temp Probe distribution block - using a OneWire Protocol
IMG_1314_zps2f32425f.jpg

IMG_1321_zps847993e8.jpg

IMG_1642_zpsff868323.jpg

IMG_1643_zps35bc5a1f.jpg

IMG_1651_zps49d4e0d9.jpg

IMG_1660_zpsaedcdb4f.jpg

IMG_1661_zps25747b7f.jpg

IMG_1662_zps8cbb2748.jpg

IMG_1663_zpsf2b53dcf.jpg

IMG_2142_zps72aff954.jpg

IMG_6588_zps6a8632f9.jpg

IMG_6593_zps87c9d2c4.jpg

IMG_6595_zps49deef2f.jpg

IMG_6597_zps76e6e812.jpg

BrewSomething - Software that I've been developing for this project. At this time pretty basic but will get more advanced in the future.
BrewConfig_zpsa3b88805.png

Brew_zps6561d763.png

Video of Pumps
https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10151380742336817

Video of Tablet running Control Panel
https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10151664564811817

Its looks awesome! Out of curiousity is this something you're going to do more commercial or area you planning to open source it?

Looks great! My only concern is the one wire plugs; they will/do short out wires when you insert/remove them. XLR three wire type is a great replacement just a bit more $$

Nice. Very similiar to what I'm (slowly) working on but I'm RIMS rather than HERMS. I have the same questions as refluxologist -- do the 1/4" audio plugs short out? I initially built my one-wire network with 1/8" plugs but found I would occasionally lose comms with them during testing when I unplugged / plugged. I went with RJ45 keystone jacks which are less expensive that XLR3 and I have much of the equip in the shop.

As you, I used the arduino mega board. Two PID (HLT & MT) and then PWM for the BK -- all in software. I opted to have a temp set on both via switches / buttons / knobs on my enclosure as well as via http. I user the EthernetServer object in my sketch which listens for http POSTS from a client and responds to posted data as well as returns temp data and any instructions from the hardware interface.

Only reason I went this route is to mitigate risks of the http interface going tits up. Planning on posting here when (if??) I get done.

Follow up question: are you using the 16 channel relay board for pump control? Is that the one from SainSmart?

:eek: WOW what a setup! Great job. I look forward to seeing how your automation comes along!

Any details on what you're doing for the software? Is it an Android app or a web interface with a HTTP server running on the Arduino or something?

Also, I see you plan for level sensors. What are you doing there or is that a long ways off?

Looks great! My only concern is the one wire plugs; they will/do short out wires when you insert/remove them. XLR three wire type is a great replacement just a bit more $$

A little tweety bird told me that 220 ohm resistors on the DATA and 5V lines will help cure any problems there. Shottky diodes between GND ->[- DATA and DATA ->[- 5V won't hurt either. :)

The star topology is OK over short distances.

Great post! Looking forward to updates. I am planning a Mega-based build myself.

Its looks awesome! Out of curiousity is this something you're going to do more commercial or area you planning to open source it?

At this point, i'm honestly not sure. This entire build was primarily just a "I like to brew" and proof of concept. As for the software I still have a ways to go with where I'd like to take it, but i'm only doing this in my spare time so its very unknown at this point.

Follow up question: are you using the 16 channel relay board for pump control? Is that the one from SainSmart?

To answer your previous post regarding the 1/4 jacks shorting. I use a fairly heavy duty cable for my temp probe, probably over kill for a 5v signal, there is a 4.7kOhm resistor across the 5V and Data for the OneWire Probes. As far as durability for the jacks, I've made my own guitar patch cables with these then beat the hell out of them for years and they still work fine.. good solder and making sure you crimp the plug securely to the cable and I dont thing you will ever have a problem. Also, I dont plan on plugging and unplugging these often.

The 16 channel Sainsmart relay board controls all the components of the system (Elements, pumps, and anything in the future I decide to add). The Arduino controls the relay board that controls a 12v signal to the Solid State Relays for the Elements and then also supply a 110v to the pumps.

Any details on what you're doing for the software? Is it an Android app or a web interface with a HTTP server running on the Arduino or something?

Also, I see you plan for level sensors. What are you doing there or is that a long ways off?

As far as the Software goes it's future is unclear. There is a lot I'd still have to do to make it configurable to other peoples Arduino/OneWire Probe setups. Beyond that there are a lot of things I'd like to build into it. For instance, the ability to allow people to use the software to create and brew recipes, at the same time logging data regarding Grain, Hops, Adjuncts, etc.. and most important temps and time of the actual brew process. Storing that server side then allowing other users to choose and use the recipe and set the Software to a "Brew this Beer" state, since the Recipe, Temps and time are logged. But as it sits its just a simple .NET app over USB.

Yes, the future of my stand will also allow for Volume Sensing use the BrewTroller Bubbler method.
https://www.oscsys.com/projects/brewtroller/system-design/volume-measurement
But that will probably be down the road a little bit.

The 16 channel Sainsmart relay board controls all the components of the system (Elements, pumps, and anything in the future I decide to add). The Arduino controls the relay board that controls a 12v signal to the Solid State Relays for the Elements and then also supply a 110v to the pumps.

Follow up: did you feel the mega didnt have enough digital pins to control the SSRs directly or just taking the "I want to future proof my project" approach?

Well I spent all weekend plowing through this build with great results.. Im DONE!.. Sunday evening I did my first water test "Batch"... I had a two tiny leaks due to forgetting teflon tape on a couple valves and had a small oversight to the software (forgot to add in manual overrides to elements....I know stupid me). Anyway I viewed it as a big success. Here are some pics of the finished product.

20131102_182047.jpg

20131103_180253.jpg

20131103_180452.jpg

20131103_180357.jpg

20131103_180336.jpg

20131103_102621.jpg

20131103_102645.jpg

20131103_103149.jpg

20131103_180226.jpg

20131103_180242.jpg

20131103_180324.jpg

Follow up: did you feel the mega didnt have enough digital pins to control the SSRs directly or just taking the "I want to future proof my project" approach?

More of a future proof approach.. Id rather have the Arduino controlling one item (Relay Board) directly than having it controlling SSR's, Relay Board, and what every I decide in the future. To me anyway, it makes this simpler. Also wasnt entirely sure of how much the Mega can output...

Ah the software development hurdle, having gone where you are headed and had spent about 30hrs a week for about a year to get there. The first version was built using Java and had big time problems displaying screens and releasing memory. A half ass fix (iconify/restore screens) was found and implemented, then entire package was rewritten in .net as Java and MySQL did not always play well together. The current .net version addresses safety and recovery from power or communications outages so I can do other brewery chores without being blown up. Communication for the automated system is via ethernet with attendant baggage to RS422/485 adapter, other test app uses USB port to talk to I2C IO boards under development.

looks awesome, the kettles look great too Ive been up in the air between 3 of these or 3 20G blichmanns, because the cost savings is so large. What are you using for a false bottom?

What purpose do the valves serve on the lines for the HLT coil and the top of the MLT and BK?

Doing some thread necromancy. Schweit, do you have your code up on git somewhere? I'm very curious to see how others are handle the state transitions from strike->mash->brew. Also, what are you using to get your interface on the tablet? Is that a web interface to the Arduino? Are you using processing, java, python or ... ?
Thanks,
JR

Back