Newbie question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntinsoldier

Reaction score
Hey guys, my first batch ever has been in the fermenter since Sunday. Fermentation has slowed to about a bubble every 30 seconds or so. My question is, will the beer clarify during carbonation in the bottle? It's pretty hazy still, and was just wondering if it will clear up at all. It's an english bitter kit recipe. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff

Your beer should clear up once bottled. I brewed and bottled a very hazy Belgian Wit in the spring and today, the bottles are as clear as any other ale. Once the bottles have chilled though and the beer poured into the glass the signature haze returns. Your beer may experience a bit of chill haze which is fairly common in unfiltered home brew. Do you use any clarifiers like Irish Moss or whirfloc tabs?using these could help also.

Cheers!!!

Once it finishes fermenting the yeast will begin to flocculate(clump together, become more dense and fall out of solution). You can help this by cold crashing if you have a fermentation chamber. Otherwise I like to move to a secondary vessel and give it another couple weeks. I suggest that instead of leaving it in the primary because when you move it you'll have more chance of rousing yeast off the bottom accidentally. But, it will eventually clear in the bottle. And then when you chill is you'll get chill haze. Which if you let it sit long enough will eventually clear too. You can get around this by adding isinglass.

My primary suggestion for someone who's on their first batch is just to go with the flow and don't try to perfect the first batch. Just relax and try not to worry about the little stuff.

If you brewed this past Sunday 7/15 and today is Wednesday 7/18 then yes, its going to be hazy for quite awhile more. Although your airlock activity has slowed considerably, your yeast are still hard at work and a lot of them are still in suspension causing this initial haze. You'll know better about the final clarity when you go to bottle. It will be a bit hazy while it carbonates in the bottle again as you've given the yeast more sugar to eat and they will reproduce. Once it's fully carbonated, then you'll know for sure.

When did you plan on bottling?

RDWHACB (can't have a homebrew just yet)

For now, it's most likely just because it's been a few days. After bottling and letting it age for about 2-4 weeks, then again after putting it in the fridge for 2 days, it should be clear. Unless you didn't cool very quickly (this may not be totally accurate) or unless (in my case) you were given Carapils (full of starch) to steep with your extract.

All great answers! Thank you. I was looking at it this morning, and just got to wondering when (if ever) the haze would clear up. I wanted to leave it in the primary for at least 2 weeks. OG was 1.050. I'll check the current reading tonight, then again in a few days, and see exactly when it has stopped fermenting. So, I'll probably bottle in about a week and a half or so. Plans are in the works for a fermentation chamber with an external controller for the next batch. I haven't used any additives for clarification on this batch, but I may on the next.

patients patients patients!!! i cannot stress this enough. brewing is very exciting but you will find that if you just wait and start planning your next brew things turn out much better. for me i always go 2 weeks primary then a min of 4 weeks in a secondary carboy. the extra conditioning helps mellow the beer. If im in a pinch ill go 1 week primary and two in the secondary. I keg my beer so its easier to let the beer sit in the carboy cause im not pressured to make time to bottle. best way to do this is mark the days on a calender.

There are several things that will clear the beer. Since your fermentation has not or has just ended it is just starting to clear.

After you are sure that your final gravity has been reached, by getting the same gravity reading over the span of 3 days, you have some choices. You can cold crash the beer to make the sediment fall, use a clearing agent, or just wait. I usually leave my beer alone for 3 weeks and get clear beer.

What is left when you bottle will settle to the bottom of the bottles, unless it is a beer designed to stay hazy. I let my bottles condition for 2 weeks at room temperature then chill one to test. Some are good at 2 weeks some have taken 3 and a couple longer than 4 weeks. Pour carefully leaving a little at the bottom of the bottle so you don't pour the yeast into the glass.

i see what you did there ;). Yes, patience is the word Im looking for. Again, plan out your next couple brews and pick up another fermentor and carboy. Its nice to have 2 going so while one is being drank the next one is not too far behind.

Having two fermenters is indeed nice. My general rule of thumb is 3 weeks in the primary and 3 weeks in the bottle. Leave the bottles at the same temperature you'd ferment at for bottle conditioning. I chill one overnight and then taste after a week, one after 2 weeks and then I'm usually drinking them at their proper carbonation level by 3. It can take longer so yes, patience is key here.

Patience has never been one of my strong suits. Lol. But as I get on in years, it does get easier. Well, experience goes a long way with me, so I'm going to go with everyones advice and leave it in the primary for another week, purchase another carboy this weekend, and rack to secondary for another 2 weeks. Sincerely, all the advice is really appreciated. Thanks again!

Jeff

Many people, myself included, are of the opinion that a secondary isn't really necessary. In fact, leaving the beer in the primary longer has more chances of the yeast cleaning up any off flavors that beer may have. The only time I used a secondary is when I did a fruit addition. Otherwise, you increase your risk of oxidizing your beer, contaminating your beer, but more importantly, you're making more work for yourself. I'd say if you really, really wanted a super clear beer with no sediment, then you can still go for it, but you're just going to be priming it and bottling it anyways and will always end up with yeast in the bottom of the bottle.

If you still MUST get a secondary and you want to use a carboy, get the 5 gallon version to reduce headspace thus decreasing the surface area. If you're like me, I would just get a second 6/6.5 gallon vessel that you can secondary in if you need to but can use as a primary any other day of the week. Just my $0.02

Back