Those of you without trucks: How to get those Craigslist finds home?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclogenesis

Reaction score
So I am looking for two fridges/chest freezers to set up temp control and to eventually build a dispensing system... Seem to be a good deal come up on craigslist fairly often but only having a subie stationwagon (forester) getting it home is going to be a pain.. does anyone us truck rental or something like?

Curious... (Need to make friends with some one with a truck, I know.. HB should help :) )

I often find that people list that they will deliver for an extra fee - that might be an option. Luckily my brewing partner has a pickup.

I used to use zipcar before that became ridiculously expensive to move or if I had to buy something huge from Home Despot or whatever. Have you looked into craigslist for "man with a van" services?

Beer is a great motivator. "Help me get this chest freezer so I can make beer to share..." :D

Last time I moved a fridge (for fermentation no less), I borrowed a neighbor's truck (in exchange for beers of course), and borrowed another neighbor's arms to unload it into the garage, also in exchange for beers.

MC

Home Depot has a $19 rental truck. I'd guess all sites have this. 90 minutes. Don't know what happens when you exceed that. They are larger than pickups (I put about 20 sheets of plywood in one once.).

You can also rent pickups from any car rental place. Or U-haul wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Where do you work? Do they have any company vehicles? My work will let me borrow the box van whenever I want, as long as there isn't anything in it and I put gas back in it.

Not sure if you have storage for a small utility trailer but they can be a good find on CL or bought fromNorthern tools, your Subaru should pull it easily. It's amazing how many uses you will find for a small trailer once you own one.

I own a Roadmaster wagon with a hitch which I used to use till I bought my Ram.

I have a trailer that I bought at Harbor Freight. It folds up so I can store it in my side gate. This is when I got all the material for my fermentaion chamber build. The trailer was under $300 and I tow it with a '91 Camry. I may get some funny looks but it works.

TRAIL.jpg

In Arkansas as a male you are pretty much required to own a truck. If not, the other 80% of the population does.

I used to just cram everything into my Jetta or borrow my buddy's truck. Or my grandpa would come & help me.

But then I bought a beater landcruiser and can do most everything myself.

Buy a beater truck if you have the room and you'll wonder how you got by without it. And if it's old enough it'll make you hate any car with efi and emissions.

I borrow my parents van or rent a uHaul type truck. Most areas have at least one place that will let you rent one by the hour.

I just stuffed a refrigerator into our forester. I was pretty much eating the steering wheel.

Had to make two trips. had to remove doors in order to get it in.

Minivans!
I love 'em!

Transport the family. Carry the luggage for vacations. Store the shopping.
All wonderful uses of this fine family vehicle.

But take down the seats!!!!

Now the Manly stuff rolls out!

4x8 sheets of plywood?
Done!

Hundreds of pounds of roofing shingles?
Done!

Mattress for crashing after a great drinking night out, without the need to drive anywhere?
Don........ I respectfully decline to answer this question as I exercise my fifth amendment right.

A giant 13.0 freezer found on craigslist for a song?
Done!

I always email them and ask them if they'll deliver for an extra fee, usually $10 or $20 extra. if all else fails, i go to lowes and grab their truck for $20 and call it good.

You in Chicago itself or somewhere out near me in the northwest burbs?

I'd 2nd getting a small trailer if you have someplace. I have a subaru forester as well, love that thing, but I also have a pickup truck.

OTOH the subaru has top rails, I bet you could throw a fridge up there :)

haha! That would look interesting! Yeah I am in the west burbs...

Thanks for all the good suggestions! Yes I do think I need to get me a trailer (and hitch) this would be handy for gardening as well... Have people transported fridges on their side? If you let it settle are there no probs?

Thanks!

They will fit... I was able to fit a queen sized sleep couch in the back of my old Impreza Wagon... granted some was sticking out past the bumper, but it worked!

:mug:

I second the Harbor Freight trailer idea! I have one and use it often. I did build the side, front and rear rails for it so it doesn't look quite as weird as without any. I got mine for $179 and I think the capacity of it is like 1100 lbs. That's probably about all your car should be pulling anyway.

Back