Getting the label off of bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringoshoe

Reaction score
I've got an empty Wild Turkey American Honey bottle that I want to use, but I want to get the labeling off. Unfortunately, it's printed directly on the glass and I'm not sure of the best way to do it. Would hitting it with some acetone or other handy household chemical dissolve the printing and give me a nice clean glass bottle?

I got some of my painted bottles clean by soaking them in star.san and using steel wool. Try that before more serious cemicals

I got some of my painted bottles clean by soaking them in star.san and using steel wool. Try that before more serious cemicals

That's what I do too. I keep a peanut butter jar full of older Starsan - if I have a bottle of Stone an overnight soak will make the paint wipe right off with a paper towel.

Just as an update, I put the bottle on it's side, poured Starsan over the printing and let it sit overnight. In the morning, it all scrubbed off clean using just a standard kitchen sponge scrubber.

if the label is glass, its staying there.
if the label is stuck to the glass, hot water
if the label is painted on the glass, muriatic acid/starsan and time.

Back