Priming Sugar As Fermentable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronclark

Constant Brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I received a couple 5 oz. bags of priming sugar as part of my Christmas gifts. I use carbonation drops when bottling and plan to continue that way.

Would it be fine to simply add this to a couple different brews as an ABV booster or would 5 oz. affect the flavor of a 5 gallon batch in even that small amount?

If that isn't a good idea, I can pass it on to one of my brew buddies so it's not a big deal either way. I just didn't want to let it go to waste.

I received a couple 5 oz. bags of priming sugar as part of my Christmas gifts. I use carbonation drops when bottling and plan to continue that way.

Would it be fine to simply add this to a couple different brews as an ABV booster or would 5 oz. affect the flavor of a 5 gallon batch in even that small amount?

If that isn't a good idea, I can pass it on to one of my brew buddies so it's not a big deal either way. I just didn't want to let it go to waste.

Yes, that's fine. I've used a pound or so in a couple Belgian beers. I suggest adding it 50% into the fermentation so that the yeast eat the more complex sugars in your wort first.

Back