Lambic blend yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBSCZONER

Reaction score
Hey hows it going, I have recently found a taste for sour beers, flanders, lambics, and i am going to make an attempt at brewing one. We are planning a fruit lambic But are not sure what fruit we will use yet. Depends whats in season when we rack onto the fruit.

The main question is this. I was going to brew this beer last week on thursday 12/1/11. My burner was giving me issues and ended up scorching a bunch of wort and ruined the entire batch. i got a new burner so we plan to brew it again tomorrow morning. I read up about yeast and smack packs and found that you can smack the pack, let it swell, and then refridgerate and it will keep for a short amount of time. I smacked the pack on wedsnday 11/30/11. Put it back in the fridge after my batch was ruined 12/1/11. And am planning to use it tomorrow 12/6/11. The strain is Wyeast 3278 Belgian Lambic Blend. Do you guys think my pack is still good or should i wait and pick up another one?? Thank you for the time.

It's probably fine. This is a long term fermentation so the head start from the smacked pack won't have a major effect.

It's definitely fine especially if it swelled up without a problem. Good choice, you can get some interesting yeast flavor in a relatively short time with that yeast blend.

Back