What to do with an old aquarium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killrmth

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Long time reader, first time poster. I am about to have an old 30ish gallon glass aquarium that housed my pet snake for years. I'm passing the ball python onto a friend and will have an empty tank that I was trying to think of a brewing related use for. I am an all-grain brewer and currently bottle but have been looking into getting a kegging system in a couple months. I was thinking about trying to use the aquarium for something kegging related but have been drawing blanks on what I could do with it. The only other accessory on the aquarium itself is a heating pad which I was going to use during fermentation in cold months. Let me know if anyone has any ideas, looking forward to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

I can't really think of a use for it. You don't want to move it around much, it won't be able to take heat changes, and it wouldn't be a good fermenter.

only thing I could see it work as is a reservoir for something like a glycol chiller or jockey box of something.

Hard to say.

If it is a true Aquarium and will hold near 30 gallons of water then maybe a glycol resevoir.

If it's just a basic terrarium then it's doubtful it will hold more than half the volume of water. There is usually a tag on teh bottom side with a disclaimer.

Back