Taps are flowing (with only minutes to spare)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotquiteawake

Reaction score
I wasn't able to totally finish my kegerator build because of some drill bit issues, but I at least got the tower temporary installed and the beer flowing with only minutes to spare before the guys come over for the game.
I bought the fridge during the summer off of Craig's list for $60, its a Danby Millennium with no freezer section. I did the door conversion during the summer and just today finished putting the tower that SWMBO got me for Christmas onto it. Here are the build pictures:

Door taken apart:
2509-img-2093.jpg

Screwing in the whiteboard material to replace the plastic molding:
2510-img-2096.jpg

The first phase done:
2512-img-2106.jpg

This is what happens when you try to use a hole saw even though the guide bit snapped...
2513-img-2406.jpg

So I went out and bought a new one which I was able to use to get through the rest of the metal and foam. However the second bit snapped when I tried to go through the wood I was going to mount the tower to (under the plastic shell).
2514-img-2408.jpg

Two Broken Guide Bits, its my drill's fault, its super cheap, and it does not have any power control (so its either fully on or off, makes it very hard to use, it was SWMBO's and she said it was really cheap)... so I've got to buy one more bit to try and finish the project fully:
2516-img-2411.jpg

4in computer case fan blowing air up into the tower. Its spliced into an old phone charger for power (running the wire out of the fridge).
2518-img-2413.jpg

Since I couldn't put a hole into the wood or the outer plastic case I just put two temporary screws into the tap tower to anchor it and a plate to catch the drips.
2517-img-2412.jpg

Remove the hole saw from the arbor and drill the hole first with the guide bit. Then put the hole saw back on and use light pressure until you've created a groove in a complete circle with the hole saw before going to town on the hole.
You will break a lot of guide bits by just plunging through your material with the guide bit, and hole saw all at once.

Remove the hole saw from the arbor and drill the hole first with the guide bit. Then put the hole saw back on and use light pressure until you've created a groove in a complete circle with the hole saw before going to town on the hole.
You will break a lot of guide bits by just plunging through your material with the guide bit, and hole saw all at once.

Dude why aren't you my neighbor!? Thats just the advice I needed yesterday! Maybe I won't actually break this next bit so quickly.

dmfa is good advise, even though I have personally never broke a guide bit while using a hole saw. The key to using a hole saw is to let the drill/hole saw do the work. Dont force it, and most importantly, use a good quality hole saw, and keep it straight. If you dont keep it straight, it will bind and either catch, or snap the pilot bit.

The break through when drilling on something thin like sheet metal is notorious for breaking hole saw guide bits.
Your pushing on the drill then suddenly without warning, the bit plunges through the sheet metal, the hole saw comes in contact with the surface, catches, binds, kicks your drill to the side and "SNAP"
The advice I gave is a fool proof(no disrespect to knotquiteawake) method.

Believe me, I've cut more holes with a hole saw than I care to count, and I've broken my fair share of bits too.
Don't even remember where I learned that trick.

The advice I gave is a fool proof(no disrespect to knotquiteawake) method.

I will build and rebuild computers and reinstall software and troubleshoot error messages all day but I'm all thumbs when it comes to handy man stuff... Foolproof is the only way I can get things done right with tools. Although, it seems really basic so I really wish the thought had popped into my head itself.

Back