Suggestions for Easy, Dry Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenLion

Reaction score
I'm looking for recipe suggestions for an easy to make, drier than normal apple cider. This will be my fifth brew and first attempt at cider, and I don't have any equipment beyond the normal beer brewing kits (no apple press). I like Fox Barrel apple cider, but want a drier version if possible. Any help/suggestions appreciated!

A normal cider should ferment completely dry. Unless you backsweeten or stop the fermentation early, you'll get a dry cider just by adding yeast, attaching an airlock, and letting it go until it stops.

Just get some unfiltered apple juice and add wine yeast. Rack after 3 weeks, and again after another 1-2 months. Treat it like a wine, not a beer, because it is a "fruit wine." It will naturally want to go dry. No special equipment needed beyond the normal homebrew stuff. You could add sulfites to help insure it doesn't get infected.

See also http://www.cider.org.uk/, but just start with some good unfiltered apple juice and you will be fine.

Back