Batch Sparge Temps.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaineriv

Reaction score
Figured I'd try batch sparging for the first time on my California Common. It will be about 10.5 lbs of grain. For the first infusion of the sparge, just going to add some boiling top-up water after the mash to get as close to 170 degrees as possible for the first 3.25 gallons of runoff. After all that's run out of the mash tun, what would be a good temp to heat the liquor for the second infusion up to so that I can keep that 168-170 sparge temp in the tun? I've read 185ish but thought I'd get some extra opinions.

captaineriv

You'll be fine at 185. I usually go as high as 190 with no problems. Tannin extraction isn't much of an issue with batch sparging because the pH mechanics are different than fly sparging. It would be an issue if you decided to do a third sparge, but that's crazy talk!

Sounds pretty fool proof then. As far as the first infusion, I doubt I'll be able to add enough near-boiling water to the 150 degree sweet wort already in the tun to bring the temp inside up to 168 without overshooting my first runoff volume. I presume this is to be expected and I should just bring it up as close to that 168 as possible? I'm using a plastic cooler, by the way, so direct heat is not an option.

captaineriv

I usually go to about 190*F also. Works great. Tell you guys the truth, I just stir really well and I only do 1 batch. I mash, run off the first running while heating sparge water, all all my sparge water stir really well, start heating first runnings, vorlauf after about 10 min. and run off everything. I've been hitting about 80% eff. A lot of people are doing multiple batches to sparge, but I've had good luck with 1 big one.

I heat the sparge water to 180ish. I most of the time mash at 150-152 so that takes me to right around 170.

The thing to do is to experiment, measure the temperatures carefully, and take notes. Everybody's system will be different, so nobody will be able to give you a definitive answer that is guaranteed to work with your system.

The hotter the sparge, the more efficient it is at rinsing the sugars out of the mash, but getting the sparge too hot will also extract excess tannins.

I fly sparge, and as the sparge water is only added very slowly, it would be virtually impossible to raise the temperature of the mash up to the point where I can get good efficiency without adding some very hot water prior to starting the sparge.

If you batch sparge, you could use the same method, or you could just heat the sparge water to a higher temperature.

If you sparge too cool, you will lose some efficiency, but your notes will tell you that you need to heat your sparge water a bit hotter next time.

If your sparge is too hot, then a bit of cold water will cool things down quickly without doing much damage.

It should only take a few batches to get the temperatures dialed in for your system.

Good luck,

-a.

I don't mash out either. I just drain and then add the sparge at about 190F. I use pH 5.2 as well.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Yeah, don't even worry about mashout temps. If you're boiling right away, you'll be totally fine.

Right ON!!!

we used to heat our sparge water to the higher temps, but now we just get it to about the same temp as the mash @150 and let 'er rip. the beer's great. hits that 'magic' 170 right quick in the boil kettle.

Back