Brewing with Blackberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
With the berries ripening, I figured it would be fun to try a blackberry beer. I've found a few recipes for blackberry wheats, but then I ran across someone mentioning a blackberry stout. Being a huge stout fan, this has been on my mind now. Unfortunately I can't find a recipe for one, or at least I haven't found one yet.

Anyone with one, preferably one with good results?

Also, I would rather use actual berries, not concentrate or liquid flavoring. So, any advice towards that end would be helpful. Also, in regards to that, I have never seen mentioned whether partially mashing the berries would help/hurt in bringing out the flavor. To me it doesn't seem that simply adding whole berries would let out the flavor very efficiently. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I found that the flavor is a bit metallic, and boiling them ruins the keyboard and screen.

Sorry...couldn't resist. Freeze the berries before using them. The ice crystals naturally break/bruise the fruit a bit.

I haven't used blackberries in beer, although I've had a blackberry stout(1). To use them in cider, I freeze them, then thaw and heat to 165F for 10 minutes. They go in a wine bag (like a grain bag but much bigger) and the bag goes in the fermenter with the apple juice. That ended up being half apple, half blackberry.

For a stout, I'd try 4-5 lbs in the secondary.

Note 1: Blackberries are good at fixing a batch of stout that went sour.

Back