Tannins in a turbid mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sideshow_ben

Reaction score
After learning to do a turbid mash for a lambic, I decided to try using it for my standard Witbier recipe. After giving the beer a number of weeks in the secondary, I transfered to my keg and carbed it, and just tried it out. There is a definite bitterness and mild astringency to the beer that I haven't tasted before and that does not seem quite like the usual effects of my hops, so I am assuming these are tannins from the mash. Anyone have some thoughts on whether these tend to ease off at all in a matter of extra weeks or if this is a multi-year aging requirement (like in wine)?

Just skip the classic turbid mash and dump a spoon or two of wheat flour at boil.

I've had samples of young turbid mashed beers that didn't have much of a tannic bite, but the really hot sparge certainly could cause problems. What was your schedule? I believe gelatin is supposed to help pull out tannins, although it will also kill your haze.

Gelatin eh? I wonder if Islinglass would do something similar?

I didn't do a ridiculously hot sparge for this since...just around 170-175F, if memory serves.

Gelatin eh? I wonder if Islinglass would do something similar?

I didn't do a ridiculously hot sparge for this since...just around 170-175F, if memory serves.

I think I have the same issue going on with my last two beers. IPAs. Did you ever get it nailed down. I took mine to a pro brewer and he said "It's pretty good but has just some slight astringency and I don't know what it is. I don't know what I changed. Its upsetting.

In an IPA you could be getting astringency from your hops, what was your recipe/procedure?

Back