Brew Day & Brewery Trip Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foonder

Reaction score
Today's quite a day. Right now it's just past 6:30 AM, and as soon as I finish this 2nd cup of coffee, I'm off to pick my (first year) centennial hops for some dry hopping action for my Rhizome IPA (very basic IPA).

Then I'm meeting my brew buddy and we're brewing my Zombie IPA (moderately hopped IPA, I'm also adding raspberries, blasphemous I know :) ).

THEN when we're done with brewing & awesome lunch we're going to the Captain Lawrence brewery in Pleasantville NY to say hi to Scott and get some tasting goodness.

If anyone's interested, Zombie IPA's recipe:
5 lb 2-Row
5 lb Marris Otter
2 lb Carapils
WL051 Yeast (but the beer will initially be pitched onto a WL001 yeast cake from my earlier mentioned Rhizome IPA)
I have to check, but I think I've got 6 oz of hops going on, with some Simcoe action, maybe some Cascades, I can't remember. I'll update it later on.
Oh, also, I'm using 3 lb of Trader Joe's Turbinado Sugar in the beer.

I'm not really a technical guy but I'm planning on mashing @ 150º (that's right, a degree symbol, what whaaaat! :ban: ) for an hour with 2 pots that each have 6 lbs of grain with Tons of water, then boiling for at least 2 hours with my turkey fryer. Should be a beautiful day, especially when the cheddar burgers on pumpernickel get served once the day is done.

On a soemwhat unrelated side note, I've also got my first Apfelwein on the menu, as well as a last year VS this year of DFH's Punkin Ale tasting, DFH's Palo Santo Marron, my very first Imperial (Vanilla Bean) Stout that's about 2 years old by now, and that should tide us over until we hit up the Captain. Yeah, when we brew we do it right. :mug:

Back