non-weizen yeasts for wheat beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllHoppedUp

Reaction score
I'm kind of tired of the banana/clove vibe in my wheat beers. What's your favorite non-weizen yeast for wheat beers?

AHU

I'm kind of tired of the banana/clove vibe in my wheat beers. What's your favorite non-weizen yeast for wheat beers?

AHU

Safale S-05 and Nottingham both will make a good american wheat. You can also use WLP 320, american hefe yeast wont give you all the fruity flavors.

I've used white labs california, california v, and east coast ale yeasts and they've all made good wheat beers.

I recently took my hefe (which normally gets fermented with Weihenstephaner) recipe and subbed in some washed/harvested Forbidden Fruit yeast from Wyeast (3463). I have to say, it is one of the most refreshing, mouthwatering beers I've made to date. I fermented it around 67f. If there was a comp coming up, I'd rig up BMBF and send some bottles away. Really, I can't recommend the 3463 enough for wits and wheats.

Back