Made a hop-bomb- I think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammer

Reaction score
I'm shooting for a 100+ IBU IIPA, single hopped with simcoes. I have the bittering (I think, by calculation) but some other things I question.
It was a 1095 OG. I've been trying to find the limits of pitching, so started a double batch of Munton's dry in 2L of wort. It ran in the stir plate 24 hours. It looked VERY good, tho I can only use some guesstimations on actual amount of yeast.
This brew took off faster than any I've ever pitched. In 3 hours it had 1"+ of krausen, and overnight it was blowing off furiously. That was Thursday night-Friday morn.
Saturday morning, it's down....
That was some pretty quick action to ferment a big beer! I plan to let it calm down and settle out a few days, and monitor the CO2 activity. Once it's quiet, I'll rack it and dry hop it.
Have you who've made big beers had batches ferment that quick? It generated 10F+ of exotherm, so it was really cookin'!
Next query- I forgot to add the Irish Moss :eek:
Can I help polish the brew by using finings? I have some, but have never used them. Any advice?

A big ass beer like that...I'd leave alone for 2-3 weeks.

If you're going to bottle, I'd allow an additional 3 weeks in a clearing tank. If kegging, same thing. Once you've allowed adequate time for the beer to ferment in the primary, you can add unflavored gelatin (1 Tbs dissolved in 1 cup of very hot *not boiling* water). This will help the beer clear in the bright tanks.

Latest posts

Back