"Minute layer" residue coming off my stainless steel kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ectoplasmicfunk

Reaction score
I just got a 10 gallon stainless steel MegaPot from Northern Brewer.

Before using it, I mildly washed the surface of it with a white damp washcloth. I noticed this blue-gray residue on the washcloth when I was done with it...

NB said that it's the "minute layer" of the kettle, and that this should subside after I break it in.

Anyone else have this same problem?

My guess is dirt or residue from manufacturing...clean it, use it, and RDWHAHB

What the hell does "after you break it in" mean with a stainless kettle???...I say nonsense!

Thoroughly wash that thing. The heavy machinery that made that pot isn't lubricated with the dreams of puppies, that's petroleum covering it.

Was this a email conversation? Were they meaning it is a minute (as in very very small) layer [of lubricant]? I would go with everyones recomendation of washing it before brewing, not after like it seems NB is saying :D

I have a similar kettle, and had the same residue on the washcloth. im not to worried about it, but then again i dont want it my beer...

Back