Cat knocks off airlock!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrobidoux

Reaction score
My stinking cat knocked the airlock of my carboy in the middle of the night. On third day of primary. What are the odds you guys think that this becomes a problem.

Don't blame the cat, live in small NYC apartment, this was bound to happen haha

Make the cat taste the beer! If the cat lives, it's fine! Unless you have the dirtiest apartment in the world, I think odds are low bad guys got into the beer.

Odds are very low that this is a problem. Fermentation is rocking and rolling at that point - there should be a lot of gas coming out of the hole where the airlock should be, so that will naturally prevent too much outside air from getting in. Airlocks are essentially insurance against wild yeast getting in your beer - you could probably brew without them many times without having a problem, but it's a cheap and easy way to create an air-tight seal.

Strange that our dogs & cats never mess with our fermenters. Our female dog sniffs the spigots every now & then though. She def has a sweet tooth,but big feet for a chick.:D

Don't be so quick to blame the cat, perhaps you had your first blow off.;)

good point. i think it'd be pretty hard for a cat to get a bung out of the bung hole :ban:. i'm guessing pressure in the fermenter had at leasr something to do with that.

OP, get an airsoft gun and shoot the cat anytime it goes near the carboy. :fro: it's what i do..... kidding of course. look into using a blowoff tube during active fermentation. :mug:

Or use a blow gun. That might be fun. A blow off tube from the get go is always good for peace of mind. And of course those dynosaur farts in the bathtub blow off sounds.:drunk::D

There are actually two cats in question which presents even more of a problem. I also don't doubt the ability of either to extract the bung in their routine frenzies. I was thinking some electrical tape for extra support before I actually send one or the other out the window, but we will see...

Back