Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why aren't you going with the 10gal Home Depot cooler?

Well, I ordered it online yesterday, for store stock. A day later they are still processing something I was supposed to be able to pick up in 2 hours and now I'm aggravated by it. They either don't have one and didn't let me know or they can't close off one of those aisles like they always do and grab one off the top shelves (where I saw the 5 gallon ones). I literally can't find a stand up 10 gallon cooler anywhere else remotely nearby. I've checked Target, Walmart, Bass Pro Shops, Dick's Sporting Goods, and Lowe's.

I'm anxious to get a mash tun put together, so using the parts described in the initial post, plus some assorted extra gaskets, I've opted to buy one of these Coleman Xtreme 50 quart coolers ($30 at Wal-mart). They boast of up to 5 days insulating power and the design is moderately compact and mobile with wheels and collapsible handle. The existing plug drains out the backside on an angle between the wheels. This is actually a pretty good design except I do not believe it sits high enough to accommodate for the valve and nozzle that will be attached. It would extend beyond the level of the wheels. With that in mind, my plan is simply to drill a 3/8" whole in the side instead at the base, allowing enough bottom clearance for my hardware. This way I won't lose the functionality of the wheels or worry about having to store the thing on it's side.

Editing to note that the internal diameter of my fittings are 3/8" so the clearance I'll need for the pass through piece will be 5/8" I believe.

Wish me luck.

884bac5b-e4de-455a-9640-416b31b31fb7_1.eb6b4a0ca6c3b49b7f8ca02785cfe09a.jpeg

dac95010-fcfa-4b22-9c8b-4088c31d9aff_1.1cda7cdecd695ca1986806ee387d6a04.jpeg

OK, the cooler search is getting silly. I'm going to buy a rectangle one and go from there. Drill my own hole if needed.

Here's a simple DIY Mash Tun from a square cooler.

Do use the food grade silicon sealer,

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuIKHC57ROQ[/ame]

I've said it before, but I guess I'll say it again. If I were to do it over, I would have just gone with a rectangular cooler ala Denny. If you don't fly sparge, there is no need for a round cooler and the Denny's system is cheap, simple and effective.

http://www.dennybrew.com/

Thanks for the extra tips. I see there are simpler solutions but I started putting mine together last night with the parts I already had (confirmed lead free fittings). Unfortunately, the pass through piece of pipe (1.5" long) is not long enough for this style cooler so I need to make hopefully one last hardware stop for a longer piece. I drilled a 1/2" hole through the front base of the cooler which will make it easier to tip if needed to get out extra wort. The 3/8" fitting fits snug with some wiggling in so I don't anticipate having too much play in it once I tighten it all up.

16406925_10209850414674970_7317355772872297396_n.jpg

16473495_10209850414194958_4137373647772708033_n.jpg

Home brewing is much like tying flies. You could just buy the stuff........but why not make it harder than it is.

Got a Home Depot literally in my back yard and I need to build something soon. Thank you for the step by step instructions.

The Coleman 52 Extreme cooler is on sale at Walmart for under 23 bucks.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-52-Quart-Extreme-Cooler-Blue/21721549

Pull some tubing through the bulkhead , attach a braid and have a wonderful batch sparger or full volume mash tun for about 35 dollars.
All you really need IMHO, and 5 - 10 gallon batch capable.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=125108

I made my mash tun from a ten gallon cooler, a $2 water cooler spigot, and a voile bag. I made my own bag, but I heard there is a guy on HBT who will custom make one for you! :)

So I pretty much read through all the posts on the 10 gallon cooler thread. I decided to go a little easier route, maybe a couple bucks more but way easier than some of the posts I have seen. Bought the 10 gallon cooler from Home depot (44.95). Then went to More Beer - bought the stainless - weldless ball valve (34.99), and also the Kettle tube screen ($14.95). Took out the cooler spigot and dropped in the ball valve (did note have to touch the hole - just slide it in). Tightened and added the kettle screen. No leaks and ready to go. Honestly so simple and easy. Would recommend this route vs. some of the other with multiple washers and braided hoses.

All,

I have read through this and I know this is old. Some of these parts aren't available anymore. I wanted to run this part list by you to seee what you thought.

1/2" Threaded Full Port Ball Valve 3 Piece SS
1/2" x 2" NPT Male Pipe Nipple SS
1/2" Female Coupler SS
1/2" MPT x 3/8" Barb SS
12" Kettle Tube Bazooka Screen SS
1/2" ID, 3/4" OD, 1/8" Wall, 10' Length White Silicone Tubing

I feel like this is all good to go. These are pieces that I would need to order because my stores don't carry them. I can find washers and rubber rings at the stores here, but not this stuff.

If I'm missing anything please let me know.

Thanks,
Matt

That all sounds right. Like someone said, you might find it pre assembled as a kit.

Stainless is hard to find at Home Depot, etc.

You're now best to get a cooler conversion kit from one of the many homebrewing online stores that sell them.

Personally I'd recommend Bobby's (brewhardware.com) bulkhead kits plus a ball valve.

You're now best to get a cooler conversion kit from one of the many homebrewing online stores that sell them.

Personally I'd recommend Bobby's (brewhardware.com) bulkhead kits plus a ball valve.

I have a gift card to Amazon, so I'm getting all the parts through there. I'll check out Bobby's. See if there is a price difference.

Step 3 - Outside Parts:

7346-4_Outside_Parts_r.jpg

- pull brass nipple all the way through the hole in the cooler, and insert O-ring
- apply teflon tape to threads on nipple

7346-7_O-ring_r.jpg

- add fender washers as spacers to ensure a tight fit of the components once the ball valve is attached (mine needed 3 washers)
- attach the ball valve
- apply teflon tape to the male barb connector, and attach it to the bal valve

7346-8_Assemble_Outer_r.jpg

If you dont mind I'd like to offer a simpler solution to stacking washers and chancing the sealed port for the valve...Find a threaded bulkhead union ,may require drilling the hole slightly larger to accommodate but its threaded all the way through.

Just wanted to say thanks everyone for this info! Huge help!

My 10-gal Igloo cooler from Lowes has a 7/8" spigot, so the seal is pretty much useless. I want 1/2" fittings instead of 3/8" to increase flow speed...
After a few weeks of searching for parts I decided my only reasonable option was to order a kit (yesterday) so I hope this will work. $40 from Bargain Fittings for everything besides the cooler. Bonus that the parts are stainless and the seal is high-temp silicone.

Cheers

Edit: In case anyone is interested:
I used all fittings from online kit except the o-rings I got a 10-pack at home depot.
From outside to inside:
1/2" barb 1/2" MIP
1/2" 2-piece ball valve
#40 o-ring (danco brand) 3/4" OD x 5/8" ID x 1/16"
Washer
Silicone gasket
(Wall)
#40 o-ring
Locking nut
Filter screen clamped directly onto the 1/2" nipple (standard size option, 2" I think)

Put on the tape and then add the ball valve onto the nipple (use pliers on the nipple--ouch). Add the outside o-ring, washer, gasket. Put into the cooler wall and then the inside o-ring and nut. Tighten gently. Leak test. Add screen and outside barb. Doesn't rotate or leak :)

Last edited:
I have to disagree. Doing a lot of searching on these barbed/ threaded adapters, the brass ones aren't usually lead free

But the amount of lead in them that is on a wet surface is so minimal that it is of zero consequence. You are more likely to develop ulcers if you worry about it than anything from the brass.

Just a quick question: In the parts list it says to get a 3/8 ball valve and a male barb adapter as two separate pieces. Would the combo ones what have a barb already as part of the ball valve be fine? They have quite a few of those on eBay. Photo attached of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• IMG_4343.PNG
    IMG_4343.PNG
    703.4 KB · Views: 200
Shouldn’t be an issue as long as the male barb isn’t part of the Ball valve (barb can be unscrewed) also I would spend up a little and get a full Stainless BV and not a stainless brass BV. I believe stainless brass isn’t ideal for potable water, were as stainless steel is 100% safe for potable water.

Shouldn’t be an issue as long as the male barb isn’t part of the Ball valve (barb can be unscrewed) also I would spend up a little and get a full Stainless BV and not a stainless brass BV. I believe stainless brass isn’t ideal for potable water, were as stainless steel is 100% safe for potable water.
Ah, I was going off the fact that almost every other part listed said brass (outside of the braided hose) so figured it'd be fine. And the picture seems to show edges around the bard where you would unscrew it so I'd assume it's removable. Curious, why is a non-removable one an issue?

Ah, I was going off the fact that almost every other part listed said brass (outside of the braided hose) so figured it'd be fine. And the picture seems to show edges around the bard where you would unscrew it so I'd assume it's removable. Curious, why is a non-removable one an issue?

It’s not, as long as you have one part that unscrews so that way you can fit it into the cooler then screw it back on. I’ve seen people buy 1 piece ball valves then realize they couldn’t fit it to the cooler.

Follow up question since it makes more sense to just ask it here rather than make a whole new thread. I have an old 48 quart coleman cooler, but its got wheels on the side that cause some humps on the inside. Since I'd be batch sparging, would this pose any issue? I'd rather not invest in a new cooler (until now i've just been using the 5 gallon paint strainers in a 42 qt perfectly square cooler that doesnt have any hole for an outlet) and have had to slowly drain (with either a siphon or pouring) and sparge and obviously suffer in terms of efficiency hence the wanting to modify this cooler that actually has a hole for this modification.

Last edited:
Follow up question since it makes more sense to just ask it here rather than make a whole new thread. I have an old 48 quart coleman cooler, but its got wheels on the side that cause some humps on the inside. Since I'd be batch sparging, would this pose any issue? I'd rather not invest in a new cooler (until now i've just been using the 5 gallon paint strainers in a 42 qt perfectly square cooler that doesnt have any hole for an outlet) and have had to slowly drain and sparge and obviously suffer in terms of efficiency hence the wanting to modify this cooler that actually has a hole for this modification.

Shouldn’t be an issue. You may have grain sit in the pockets but they will be mixed with your water and still have conversation. I don’t see an issue as long as your hole is placed away from the pockets obviously

Shouldn’t be an issue. You may have grain sit in the pockets but they will be mixed with your water and still have conversation. I don’t see an issue as long as your hole is placed away from the pockets obviously
Yes, the hole is on the opposite end of the pockets. Thanks so much for the quick replies. Been very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah buying individual brass fittings from the hardware store is expensive, plus there's the surface lead thing (which I know can be removed). I also got one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064OFCHW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

So $30 total. Looking at the hardware store I couldn't beat that, and it's all stainless. This thread was originally started over 10 years ago before amazon prime and the large abundance of internet companies providing home brew stuff, but unless you can score a great deal on fittings, it's probably cheaper and worth your time to just order a set like this online.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pics of the previous combo from Amazon that I linked, works great, just had to open up the hole a little more in the cooler and exclude the washer because of the wall thickness. This is a 1/2" setup and barb too:

IMG_20180423_191125.jpg

IMG_20180424_180042.jpg

I made one of these a couple years ago with a braided hose for the filter. After some batches of use the braided hose is a bit beat up and has collapsed a bit due to being knocked around while stirring the mash.
I wonder if anyone has tried putting a spring inside the hose so it will keep its shape.
I'm thinking maybe the spriral wire spring from a spiral notebook might be the right size and price.
Thoughts?

I made one of these a couple years ago with a braided hose for the filter. After some batches of use the braided hose is a bit beat up and has collapsed a bit due to being knocked around while stirring the mash.
I wonder if anyone has tried putting a spring inside the hose so it will keep its shape.
I'm thinking maybe the spriral wire spring from a spiral notebook might be the right size and price.
Thoughts?

I used a heavy gauge water heater braid. The inside of the braid goes on the outside of the coupler that is inside the tun. I believe it is 3/4 inch braid. Like this one:https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...ter-Heater-Supply-Line-EBBC-07M-18a/206527452

I cut off the ends, pulled out the plastic pipe inside. Folded one end back inside itself and close with nylon screw and nuts. I turned the other end inside and hose clamped it on the inside of the cooler valve assembly. I did that in 2012 and it is still going strong. I can bash it with the mash paddle all I want and nothing happens to it. And no need for anything inside.

Thoughts?
The "bazooka tube" pictured above is cheap, reliable, and very sturdy. It's what I use.

[...]I wonder if anyone has tried putting a spring inside the hose so it will keep its shape. I'm thinking maybe the spriral wire spring from a spiral notebook might be the right size and price.
Thoughts?

Yes, you can find examples of folks stuffing springs in their braided hoses. Works as expected.
But they use stainless steel springs - that spiral binder would most likely disappear entirely within a couple of brews from the wort acidity...

Cheers!

Back