first homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bginder

Reaction score
ok, so heres the break down

water n malt, boil, 20 min
add hop 1 to maltwater 20
in the same bag, without removing hop add irish moss and hop 2 30 min
meanwhile, grains cold start boiling 45 min
take malt off heat while grain finishes
add grain water to malthop
add hop 3 by itself 15 min
siphon to carboy add yeast

so whats going to happen? is it worth just pitching and starting over? it was 50 bucks for everything and thats alot of money for me. im just gonna see what happens. the pots in the snow cooling down ther wort. i also effed up and boiled the geletan extract and added it to the wort. i just hope it dosent over stimulize the yeast and cause a super overflow. it said to add after the 8 days fermenting first time. just wondering whats gonna happen and if its gonna be good beer or not.

I suspect that you will end up with pretty good beer. Your directions are a little hard to understand so I'm not quite sure how good it will be. The normal set of instructions go something like this.

Bring a quantity of water to 150 to 160 degrees and add grain bag to it and let it steep for 20 to 30 minutes.

Remove grain and bring the water to a rolling boil. Remove from heat and add malt extract, stirring well to thoroughly mix. Return to heat and when the boil starts again add bittering hops. Start 60 minute timer. When the timer shows 15 minutes, add flavor hops. If you have an aroma hop, when the timer is between 5 minutes and zero, add these too.

Remove from heat and cool quickly. One of the ways to do this is to put it in a tub or sink with ice water. One of the poorest ways it to put it in a snowbank as the snow will quickly melt away from the kettle and form an insulating layer of air.

When the wort is cooled, pour or siphon into fermenting vessel and shake or vigorously stir with a sanitized spoon to aerate the wort. Pitch the yeast and close the fermenting vessel with an airlock on top to vent any CO2 produced. Place in a cool, dark area to ferment. Leave it in this fermenter for 2 to 4 weeks (closer to 4 preferred) and then check with a hydrometer to be sure it is at its final gravity by sampling twice 3 days apart. if the gravity has not changed in 3 days, you can bottle or keg.

Heat 2 cups of water to a boil and add the priming sugar, stirring well. Pour this into the bottom of the bottling bucket and siphon (rack is the proper term) the beer into this keeping splashing to a minimum. Stir with a sanitized spoon to ensure thorough mixing. Bottle the beer, cap and store at room temperature for 3 weeks or more before chilling any for drinking. The majority of the beer should remain at room temperature for more bottle conditioning. Chill for a minimum of 24 hours before opening to allow the CO2 to dissolve into the beer.

Back