(Home made) PBW - safe for glass? (Safe in general?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing a little research on Amazon I see one can purchase....
Sodium metasilicate- 3 lbs $12
Sodium percarbonate- 10 lbs $21.50
Sodium carbonate- 5 lbs $13.50
Those prices delivered.
Roughly following the PBW formula posted earlier..
30% metasilicate
40% percarbonate
30% carbonate
Mixing your own comes out to about $2.87/lb of course without the chealating agent but for those, like me with soft water, it's a great deal. And no chance of any extra detergents from unknown oxy-whatever formulations or wall cleaning compounds.

Doing a little research on Amazon I see one can purchase....
Sodium metasilicate- 3 lbs $12
Sodium percarbonate- 10 lbs $21.50
Sodium carbonate- 5 lbs $13.50
Those prices delivered.
Roughly following the PBW formula posted earlier..
30% metasilicate
40% percarbonate
30% carbonate
Mixing your own comes out to about $2.87/lb of course without the chealating agent but for those, like me with soft water, it's a great deal. And no chance of any extra detergents from unknown oxy-whatever formulations or wall cleaning compounds.

I think a bit of citric acid can be added as a chelating agent. I have a water softener too, so I don't really need it either. My local health food store carries it in powder form (I use it for cheesemaking).

I'm thinking citric acid wouldn't work too well since with all the sodium carbonate this would be an alkaline solution and adding the acid would immediately form sodium citrate.

Sodium salts fully dissociate in water, so sodium citrate won't form in solution. The high pH of the solution will actually ensure that the tri-anionic form of the citrate ion is dominant in solution.

However, citrate is not a particularly strong chelator, so you may need more of it than you might think depending on the hardness of your water.

I use 4 pounds of Oxy (SunOxy) and 1 pound TSP (Red Devil). Have used it with City municipal water and now a water softener on a well. Seems to work great for me at this rate with both sources of hot water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back