Imperial Steam - thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
My next brew - more or less:

[size=+2]Imperial Corrales Common[/size]
[size=+1]7-B California Common Beer[/size]
Author: Thomas C. Hart
Date: 4/7/09

Size: 18.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 258.75 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.077 (1.048 - 1.054)
|================================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.019 (1.011 - 1.014)
Color: 13.76 (10.0 - 14.0)
|=======================#========|
Alcohol: 7.65% (4.5% - 5.5%)
Bitterness: 57.8 (30.0 - 45.0)

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
45.0 lb Standard 2-Row
2.0 lb Munich Malt
2.0 lb Vienna Malt
2 lb Crystal Malt 40°L
.75 lb Pale Chocolate Malt
125.0 g Northern Brewer (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
100.0 g Northern Brewer (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
60.0 g Northern Brewer (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
60.0 g Northern Brewer (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
4.0 ea WYeast 2112 California Lager
4.0 ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min

[size=+1]Schedule:[/size]
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.1[/size]

My only thought is to increase the hops. They are in the right range percentage wise, but my problem is not really having a true model to work from. In actuality the NB hops I received are 10.4 AA so my bitterness is already going to be higher, assuming I keep the quantities the same. 75.2 IBUs to be exact.

OK I could use some insight and ideas here.

Here is the adapted recipe:

[size=+2]Imperial Corrales Common[/size]
[size=+1]7-B California Common Beer[/size]
Author: Thomas C. Hart
Date: 4/7/09

Size: 18.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 258.75 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.077 (1.048 - 1.054)
Terminal Gravity: 1.019 (1.011 - 1.014)
Color: 13.76 (10.0 - 14.0)
|=======================#========|
Alcohol: 7.65% (4.5% - 5.5%)
Bitterness: 75.2 (30.0 - 45.0)

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
45.0 lb Standard 2-Row
2.0 lb Munich Malt
2.0 lb Vienna Malt
2 lb Crystal Malt 40°L
.75 lb Pale Chocolate Malt
125.0 g Northern Brewer (10.4%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
100.0 g Northern Brewer (10.4%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
60.0 g Northern Brewer (10.4%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
60.0 g Northern Brewer (10.4%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
4.0 ea WYeast 2112 California Lager
4.0 ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min

[size=+1]Schedule:[/size]
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.1[/size]

Tom, you always craft such tasty recipes!

I don't know enough about the style personally, so I don't have much to offer in terms of comments or suggestions.

I say brew on, my good man!

You ever tried caravienne malt? It has a much sharper sweetness than crystal malt. I've used it many times in my steam beers...and actually am using it today in a california common for the BJCP Brew-all. Not necessarily a suggestion, just curious.

I've used a 100% vienna base for a steam beer before...pretty good stuff. I think your munich and vienna quantities look perfect, however, especially since the character will come out much stronger in an 18 gallon batch than in a 5 gallon.

California Lager yeast is nice and smooth, at low temps its much cleaner than the SF Lager yeast from White labs. I still like the spicier character you get from the SF, but it just depends what you are going for.

No advice on the hops, unfortunately...don't have ProMash in front of me and I'm not quite a whizz with the numbers yet.

That is the problem, this isn't really a style. I found a recipe that suggested just making an IPA and doing the bastard lager fermentation on it, but that seems a little off to me. My thought was to go with the OG/BU ratio Ray Daniels suggests for Steam beer, but then again you get into the role the higher alcohol will be playing in the profile and the need to balance that out with hops. It is a fun challenge. I really need a pint of draft steam to help me through this one. It has been too long to really remember how the balance comes across. My recollection is it has a stiff bitterness that is just under the malt and odd bastard esters.

Anyone drinking draft steam out there?

I am using the White Labs steam yeast. I don't remember the number. I have not used it before and always gone with the wyeast 2112 (RUSH). I will be interested to see how it plays out. I am thinking the quantities of Munich and Vienna will be balanced by the higher gravity.

My recollection is it has a stiff bitterness that is just under the malt and odd bastard esters.

Anyone drinking draft steam out there?

"Bastard Esters"...heh...that sounds like a good description of a steam beer to me. The Wyeast Cali Lager might be too clean if that's what you're looking for.

There is significant flavor and aroma hops, too, but the northern brewer gives them that woody/spicy character that keeps them more subdued than if you used, say, cascade.

The San Francisco Lager Yeast is WLP810 (it's one of my favs ;))

BTW, I entered the RIS 08/08/08 and it got GREAT reviews. It made it to finals but I guess there was just stiff competition in the stout category. The judges loved my variation that I brought to the competition, however. They finished 5 gallons of an 11% stout in about 3 hours!!!

Very cool! Congrats on the beer. A recipe is important but the brewer is what makes it great. I bet those were some happy judges!

It is the San Fran Lager that I am using.

I like the first recipe better. The second is a little hoppy for me. Overall I think its a great recipe. The only thing I would change is swapping Special B for the crystal. I personally like the smoothness of the special B for some reason.

Yeh, I am a little nervous on the hopping and am thinking that some place between the two recipes will be good, maybe in the low to mid 60s. I too like special B and had thought about that. The alcohol in this will add a sweetness that I don't want to over-state with crystal. I will have to chew on this idea. Thanks.

Mid to low 60s is exactly what I was thinking. 70+ for me is a beer that I can have one or two of a day. If its in the 60 range I can drink those till my heart explodes.

Otherwise I like the recipe and am going to steal..... I mean replicate it soon.

Hey BP,

I'm originally from ABQ and likely have had LOTS of your brews at the Rio. I miss the micro scene in ABQ..... Lots of good people, beer and food back home. Still quite active I've discovered when I visit.

I've been thinking about an Imperial CaliCom, and frankly have not come across any good leads on the net.

Thanks for documenting your progress for us, I am very interested in brewing one.

I personally really dig the CaliCom style. Last year I made a 5 gal of Common Californication originated by a Rock Hoppers Brew Club member.

An ABV of 6.1 % is short of imperial status, but it was mighty tasty.

Last week I brewed Jamil California Common, and forward when I can tap it.

Once I clear up some space in the fermenter, I'll get going on yours!

BTW, I must have missed it, but at what temperatures will you ferment this brew?

Thanks!
Steve

Yeh, I am a little nervous on the hopping and am thinking that some place between the two recipes will be good, maybe in the low to mid 60s. I too like special B and had thought about that. The alcohol in this will add a sweetness that I don't want to over-state with crystal. I will have to chew on this idea. Thanks.
Caravienne. FTW. ;)

Back