Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
StainlessBrewing said:
I'm more of a cigar guy but have a pipe and smoke occasionally. This was a gift I received a few weeks ago I need to get up in the shop/mancave.

Sweet!

Ok just one puff....and one more beer...

image-4286938096.jpg

Thanks for the reference to Iwan Ries. I'm checking it out

It may be less convenient for you. I work one block away and frequent the shop whenever I can. Nice smoking lounge, very nice pay-smoking lounge, and good selections of pipes/cigars/tobaccos.

I love Iwan Ries! Was in there last week grabbing some cigars for camping and had to stop myself from grabbing a cheap pipe as well...

Yep. This place is great. My buddy and I have made it a tradition to spring for the pay lounge at the end of each year. We drink, smoke, and relax for half a work day.

Yep. This place is great. My buddy and I have made it a tradition to spring for the pay lounge at the end of each year. We drink, smoke, and relax for half a work day.

That is a pretty awesome idea. I didn't even realize it existed until I was Google searching cigar shops near my work and found that it was 2 blocks away.

Ace_Club said:
It may be less convenient for you. I work one block away and frequent the shop whenever I can. Nice smoking lounge, very nice pay-smoking lounge, and good selections of pipes/cigars/tobaccos.

We just found out about this and are planning on spending a day watching football and hanging out. Have a couple buddies in the city, I'm out in the burbs

Ace_Club said:

Is be using as an online source. Have to do the relaxing on my porch, or garage in the winter. :)

Speaking of relaxing with a pipe or cigar, I have a favorite story. Playing Counterstrike with my feet up on the desk in just my boxers (I'm taken, ladies, sorry) puffing on a lovely Hondoran. 20 minutes in, after fragging CTs, the life affirming feeling of the ash finally falling off onto my beer gut... the hot ember burning a small circle on which hair still will not grow.

You dont forget nights like that.

Speaking of relaxing with a pipe or cigar, I have a favorite story. Playing Counterstrike with my feet up on the desk in just my boxers (I'm taken, ladies, sorry) puffing on a lovely Hondoran. 20 minutes in, after fragging CTs, the life affirming feeling of the ash finally falling off onto my beer gut... the hot ember burning a small circle on which hair still will not grow.

You dont forget nights like that.

Pure poetry...

Ok just got home from work to check out my new pipe!
Pipesandcigars only shorted me one tin of tobacco from a five tin set. Emailed them and I guess I'll see if they make it right, how hard is it to put five tins in a box?

Can I ask what you paid for this assortment of goodies? Just wondering how different the cost would be there than up here.

paulster2626 said:
Can I ask what you paid for this assortment of goodies? Just wondering how different the cost would be there than up here.

The pipe, 4 tins (paid for five), pipe cleaners and tool were $97. That's including the $11 dollars shipping.
I then ordered the Captains taster just because.
Shipping to Alaska is pretty crappy. Lots of vendors don't use the postal service so we end up paying steep UPS or FedEx. Pipesandcigars at least shipped USPS

Pipe came!

ForumRunner_20121004_165128.jpg

Chip carved pipe with a Winchester 12 gauge shot shell for the little cap on the stem. Got it from Boswell Pipes in PA. Came with everything here except for two of tobaccos. Excited about the pouch as now I'm more portable with my pipes.

Yeah great to communicate with and I love that the order receipt/packing slip was hand written. Smoking the pipe as we speak.

rifraf said:
Starsan? ;-)

Pipes look cool man, love the churchwarden

Hmm ya starsan would work. For mouth pieces. The pipe is well cleaned no gunk in it.

Woah a combination of the best/strongest tobacco I've ever smoked and a much larger bowl than I'm used to and I'm buzzing pretty hard. I think this pipe is a winner.

Well having a smoke outside as its ridiculously nice tonight. Opted to just go with the amphora (?) mellow blend instead of aromatic. Really growing on me - seems to get nicer the deeper I get in to the bowl...

This peach blend is awesome and sweet. Smoking it in my savenelli. No bite at all... Mmmm good.

Starsan? ;-)

Pipes look cool man, love the churchwarden

You joke, I actually clean the inside of the stem of my estate pipes with a pipe cleaner soaked in alcohol followed by a 30 second dip in Starsan. :mug:

Woah a combination of the best/strongest tobacco I've ever smoked and a much larger bowl than I'm used to and I'm buzzing pretty hard. I think this pipe is a winner.

Try some 1792 Flake. Actually, it's weird, I only smoke twice a week, but after a couple years of that, I'm starting to not have as bad a reaction to really strong blends. Smoking on a full stomach helps!

Pipe came!

View attachment 78314

Chip carved pipe with a Winchester 12 gauge shot shell for the little cap on the stem. Got it from Boswell Pipes in PA. Came with everything here except for two of tobaccos. Excited about the pouch as now I'm more portable with my pipes.

How much did the pipe run you? I'm looking at their site and everything seems to be sold.

They sell out quickly. New pipes are released each week and can be gone in a matter of a few hours.

Yea, that makes sense then. Looking at their stock and the limited supply I'm going to hazard a guess that they're going to be a bit pricey.

Pipe came!

View attachment 78314

That cap adds a real nice touch, wonder if they could figure out how to work a .308 for me :). I have a respectable post transition Barling, nothing special, but it does nice with my favorite blend from my local tobacconist.

This one was 130. Includes everything except two of the ounces of tobacco in the pic. Great price in my opinion for a pipe completely hand carved (looks sand blasted but actually chip carved) , and they get great reviews. Everything I read online was extremely positive about them,and lots of people said they bought stuff that wasn't on the website just by calling or emailing. They have a large gallery so you can get an idea for what their work looks like.

Shoot them an email, they have large stock in their shop and will be happy to find you something if you know what you're looking for. I told them I wanted a shotshell pipe, and I had pictures of the most recently carved one in my inbox shortly and offers to continue to send me pictures as they were carved. I believe they have pipes that start in the 70s.

Pretty sure the reason they only post a few on the website is that they don't do online ordering so trying to manually update pipes as they sold would be a pain. I called to place my order and my packing receipt was hand written from a pad of order forms like at a Chinese takeout place. Only digital receipt was from the credit card. Pretty cool :)

Bensiff said:
That cap adds a real nice touch, wonder if they could figure out how to work a .308 for me :). I have a respectable post transition Barling, nothing special, but it does nice with my favorite blend from my local tobacconist.

I'll post a better pic later where you can see the stamping. It's pretty cool :). This is my first "expensive" pipe.. I probably won't be able to tell the difference at all but I'm excited to have it.

Have looked at a lot of pipes and I just could'nt bring myself to paying $100 for just one. I think the most I spent was $50.

Have always wondered if there truely is a difference. Just not enough to wanna learn first hand.

Similar situation with my Boswell shot shell. I ordered a pipe off the website, but there was a mix up and it had already been sold. They called back and I told them that what I was REALLY looking for was one of their shot shells. Dan had pictures too me shortly of one in their shop and we made the deal.

GilaMinumBeer said:
Have looked at a lot of pipes and I just could'nt bring myself to paying $100 for just one. I think the most I spent was $50.

Have always wondered if there truely is a difference. Just not enough to wanna learn first hand.

I can assure you I can't tell the difference, but since I stumbled on their site a year ago something kept drawing me back to admire them. Probably the handmade/ made in America stuff and their unique rustic appearance. Finally decided to just bite the bullet because it was clear to me I wanted one more than a a passing interest.

My mom used to tell me to write down what I wanted for my birthday or Christmas a month in advance. If I still wanted it a month later I probably actually wanted it. This reminded me of that lol

Yeah, I doubt I could tell the difference between some really old high quality briar like pre-transition Barlings are famous for or what most pipes are made out of today. However, I can tell the difference between one that smokes good and one that doesn't...I just figure that if it smokes good it is well made.

Bensiff said:
Yeah, I doubt I could tell the difference between some really old high quality briar like pre-transition Barlings are famous for or what most pipes are made out of today. However, I can tell the difference between one that smokes good and one that doesn't...I just figure that if it smokes good it is well made.

QFT. I will say my Boswell smoked much better than any other "first smoke" with my other pipes. No gurgle, never got hot, smooth. Is that placebo? Maybe. But I liked it.

Back