Stessed about moving hops trellis!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msheraw

Reaction score
A local greenhouse owner has been nice enough to let me grow 11 plants on his property. The bad news is that he wants me to move the trellis a little bit so he can plant other plants beside it.

The good news is that it has been colder than normal here in PA, slowing plant growth.

This is the second year for my hop plants but I am still worried how moving the plants at this point in the season will affect their growth.....

What are your thoughts?

:confused:

...... nice enough to let me grow 11 plants on his property.
:confused:

Uh...while I feel your pain...his property, do whatever needs to be done...while i imagine a transplant / moving of the plants is not ideal, you could also look for other options on available space???

That being said...get as much root mass as ya can!

It depends somewhat on how large the bines are at this point. If they are only 2-3 feet, you should be able to dig out about a 1 foot ball of dirt and move them. Much longer than that and you'd be better off cutting the bines back first.

Find a beer drinking guy/gal who transplants trees with one of those massive claw devices. They could scoop up a large enough area to take all the roots and dirt. Pay them with beer, as the normal charges would probably make the idea impractical.

It depends somewhat on how large the bines are at this point. If they are only 2-3 feet, you should be able to dig out about a 1 foot ball of dirt and move them. Much longer than that and you'd be better off cutting the bines back first.
If I cut the bines back are you sure they will be able to grow back in time for a decent harvest?

At this time of year, most likely not. This is probably the worst time to move hops, since they're actively growing. If the bines are longer than 3' you'll most likely end up breaking them anyways and they'll start growing all over again.

Back