Forgotten Keg O' Beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
Last Friday I was crawling around my crawlspace to get the Christmas tree and decorations out of storage, when what should I come across when I move a box out of the way? A five gallon corny of a Dortmunder Export Lager I brewed last May!!! :eek: I brewed ten gallons and served one corny at our wedding shower at the end of last July. It turned out pretty tasty. The other corny, I put in the crawlspace to stay cool, figuring I'd put it on tap later that summer. I obviously forgot about it! :eek:

I put it in the garage to chill. I think I'll put it on CO2 as soon as one of the kegs I have on now kicks and see how it tastes. It was stored at ~62oF. I wonder what I can expect?

Great "find"!:cross: I'll bet it's awesome. The hop bitterness may have mellowed out a bit, but that will just let the malt shine through better... and that should be good for a Dortmunder. Let us know how it turns out.

Well does the crawlspace ALWAYS stay cool? Or in the summer does it spike up? If it stayed cool it will proably be one of the best beers you ever made...if it got heated and cooled several times it might show signs of age...

Oh!! Yes please!

A tasting report, and maybe a pic would be very much appreciated indeed!

Ant

Last Friday I was crawling around my crawlspace ...

The other corny, I put in the crawlspace to stay cool ...

:off:

Sorry for OT, but I have to ask. I have often heard people refer to crawlspaces, but I've never understood what they were talking about. What is that, exactly? Is it space in your attic? Under a pier and beam house?

I live in an area where there are no basements (I'm not sure why they aren't very common in Dallas), most houses are on concrete slab foundations, and the only stuff you'd put in an attic are things that can tolerate 130 degree heat in the summer. Not a good place for a lager.

:off:

Sorry for OT, but I have to ask. I have often heard people refer to crawlspaces, but I've never understood what they were talking about. What is that, exactly? Is it space in your attic? Under a pier and beam house?

It's the part under your house when you dont have a basement or are not on a solid slab foundation, typically under 4' in height. Plumbing and all that sort is down there. Too short to be a basement.

Roobarb,

Wow.
I love to find something I have stashed and forgotten.
Like one time in the early 70's.
I was living in an $75. a month {and all bills paid!}
'old servants quarters' behind the old 'big house'
on 'Swiss ave' in Dallas.
I was back from U.T. Austin and was the owner of:
'Rock Bottom Landscaping co.'
and 'was as broke as it was possible to be.'

I was out front checking my mail and looked up and,
'uh oh...'
Here comes another one,
a 'newbie preacher'.
A 'Theological Seminary' was 'around there some where'
and when ever one saw a young man with other
than 'cut offs' on,
and with 'that gleem' in his eye,
coming right at ya,
and smiling,
you knew it was a newbie preacher and ducked.

No, I wasn't 'checking my mail' I was 'working in the flowerbed'
digging up weeds for my rent that time.
Here came a newbie preacher and I thought:
"Dern"!
"I'm cornered".

I was surrounded by the building on three sides,
I was on my knees pulling weeds and couldn't get away,
so I got preached at, till a question arose.

We went back to 'my Hut' to get my Bible,
so he could look up something
and I could 'take a pxxx.'

I came out of the bathroom and the newbie preacher
was holding the Bible in one hand
and a hundred dollar bill in the other,
with a surprised look on his face.
I thought you said you didn't have any money
and were pulling those weeds to help with your rent?

Why yes, I replied.
I am as broke as it is possible to be.

But where did this $100. come from?

Was it in that Bible?
I started jumping around and dancing around
and saying things like"
'Mexican food tonight!'
{I was really thinking 'I can get me a lid'}

I told him my Mom had given that $100.
to me almost a year ago for my birthday
and I had forgotten it.
And that I kept 'money' in my Bible:
"Because that would be the last place a thief would look."
He was amazed,
and had to go off and think about that one.
He came back and said:
"I'll always remember that."
"The last place a thief would look, indeed."
And preached at me a little and left.

It's fun to find something valuable you have previously stashed.
5 gallons of 'forgotten beer' would 'cheer me up too.'

Luck and Later Roo,

Today I brew a batch

Tomorrow I cut firewood

Then I hunt coon

{Writers note, that was written 2 days ago,
and last night, the first night we have been out hunting,
Sandymay got herself a big old coon, 20Lbs!
A big female and her fur is thick, beautiful and talk about prime!
Today I take a few pictures and then skin her.}

J. Winters von Knife
jacksknifeshop

+1 to Deacon240. I've also heard of people refer to small separate parts of attics as crawlspaces... like in a split-level house. But usually it's meant to be what Deacon says.

Well does the crawlspace ALWAYS stay cool? ...
Yeah, it does. Typically, it stays ~62oF-66oF. That's why I use it for beer storage. We have a split level and the lower level is below ground. The crawlspace is on this level and is closed off from the rest of the rooms there. It never sees heat in the winter, much like a basement.

I'll post an update and try to remember to take pics. Right now, it is in the garage getting some crash cooling. It is 0oF outside right now and the garage hovers ~27oF. So, it won't take long! On another note, I have a Bock in the garage right now with a heating pad cycling on & off. It has fermenting at a steady 46oF-48oF and it's nearing completion. I'll be bringing it inside to perform a D-rest tonight. I have very high hopes for this one!:D

Not sure which is better, finding a $20 bill in an old pair of jeans, or finding an entire keg of lager that has mistakenly been aging for 7 months. :D

Finding a mistakenly lagered for 7 months keg of Dort that was covered with an old pair of jeans with a $20 in the pocket. FTW.

I live in an area where there are no basements (I'm not sure why they aren't very common in Dallas).

Basements are usually only built for one of two reasons. Either you live on a big hill and you need a basement to level out your house or you live way up north where the frost line (the depth at which the ground freezes to in the winter) is sufficiently deep enough that its worth putting in a basement since you have to dig that deep anyway.

Basements are usually only built for one of two reasons. Either you live on a big hill and you need a basement to level out your house or you live way up north where the frost line (the depth at which the ground freezes to in the winter) is sufficiently deep enough that its worth putting in a basement since you have to dig that deep anyway.

Or you live in an area that gets tornadoes!

I couldn't imagine living in a house without a basement. It's pretty much standard in northern Kentucky.

Mike

When I was a kid we had a crawlspace under part of the house, and basement in another. The crawlspace was under a section added on later. We also had a crawlspace in the attic, which was really a third bedroom. The crawlspace was the area around the outside, where the roof came down too close to the floor to be of use for living in. We'd store stuff in there, and they'd send us kids in there to get it out.

I also know crawlspaces as the area between a slab and the bottom of the house. Some manufactured homes have a slab (if they are ritzy) and are supported by blocks. The 2'-3' space between is the crawlspace.

And, I jus tknow I've got some money stashed away somewhere but I can't remember where!

:confused: The only reason basements aren't built more around here is the height of the water table. Having built houses for a living, my experience is that people would love to have a basement if soil/water conditions allow for it and they can afford it.

Back