why the yeast flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onejdn

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to brewing but my last 2 batches,an IPA and an English Ordinary Bitter, both had a pretty strong yeast taste. The IPA seemed to mellow out a little over time. both were extract recipes and both were fermented around 75 degrees. Any ideas, or do you need more info.

Without knowing anything else about your process it is really hard to let you know what could be causing it, but 75 is too hot, 65 would be better. That can cause the yeast profile to be more pronounced and cause the yeast to produce more by-products, which could be perceived as yeasty.

Try lowering your pitching temps, other then that, just wait it out and let that flavor go away.

can you describe the yeast taste? And as mentioned above I think I would shoot for a little cooler fermentation temp, maybe 68-70 range. That should at least minimize the off flavors produced by your yeast. Oh yeah, what type of yeast?

Might be a dumb question, but are you leaving the sediment on the bottom of the bottles when you pour the beer out? If you pour them in, you are going to taste them. If you aren't pouring them in, see above posts.

Might be a dumb question, but are you leaving the sediment on the bottom of the bottles when you pour the beer out? If you pour them in, you are going to taste them.

Not a dumb question. When you pour your brew pour it slow and leave the yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Other than that, time is your friend. Many off flavors will fade, so be patient.

I agree with it, try pouring carefully. I just plled out a kolsch i brewed at the begining of the summer, All the yeast & seddiment had settled out. So let it sit. I let mine site 30+ days

I"ve noticed that after a month or so in the bottles, and maybe a week in the fridge, the sediment compacts and you can pour easier without getting that milky cloud of yeast. It sucks too, because even a little bit imparts a yeasty flavor to the entire thing.

Back