weird pressure relief valve and ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cugel

Reaction score
Hey there!

I just bought a 5 gallon keg on craigslist. It has a weird weird pressure relief valve on top. It's not the traditional pull ring type, but is kind of a dome with holes drilled on the sides. No ring to pull. The keg itself is wider and shorter than my other LHBS kegs.

Anyone know how to use this valve? Is it a valve? Is it really a keg? :)

I'll try to post a picture later on tonight.

Thanks!

Does it look like the one here?

pressure_relief_value.jpg

If so, that's an old Firestone relief valve. I had one fail on me, and I'll be damned if I can find a replacement anywhere. As long as it's working - great!

hey, while I'm at it pestering you all...

anyone know how to get the o-rings off the gas-in and booze-out posts? I've tried a screwdriver and pocketknife, and have skinned a few knuckles so far. There must be a simple way to do this!

Thanks again!

anyone know how to get the o-rings off the gas-in and booze-out posts? I've tried a screwdriver and pocketknife, and have skinned a few knuckles so far. There must be a simple way to do this!

I just pinch the post & o-ring between my thumb and finger, and squeeze towards one side. Usually a little loop will form, which is enough to grip with a fingernail.

Barring that, I have a set of dental picks that will easily slip under stubborn o-rings. I'd avoid the pocketknife, it's real easy to cut yourself that way.

It could just be that the pull ring is missing. I've come across several like this. If there is a little post sticking out with a hole in it, just attach something to it and you're good to go

Anything like these. The bottom left has a metal dome with a few holes in the top. It's an overpressure relief but no manual pull. Notice the one to rhe right of that one, it has no relief in the lid at all.
cornies.jpg

Regarding the one without any pressure relief valve... what's really the danger? I mean, it's not going to build up pressure north of 130PSI unless it's hooked up to the tank. If the primary regulator failed, wouldn't the gas line burst (and release all the pressure) before the keg failed? Gas lines are rated for much more than 40 or 50 PSI, are they?

Anything like these. The bottom left has a metal dome with a few holes in the top. It's an overpressure relief but no manual pull. Notice the one to rhe right of that one, it has no relief in the lid at all.

That looks just like what I have Bobby! There's no hole for a pull-ring or anything like that.

Thanks everyone!

Just thought I'd respond to this topic in case anyone else has the same problem. That is a Coke keg. Pepsi kegs have a pull ring relief valve, Coke has no way of relieving the pressure unless you push in the middle of the gas in post.

I did my first corny keg tonight and found that yes this style you purge through the gas in post by pushing the little button in the middle...Just be sure you have not filled the keg too high or you will get a face full of beer...YUP, that's what happened here. I read that you can cut the stem on the gas post shorter so this will not happen, but I did not read that until just a few minutes ago. Hope you got this memo before you keg :)

I just acquired 2 more kegs with this style PRV and the good news, all my kegs use identical parts. However, has anyone thought of modifying the lid by cutting the top of the dome off and threading on a pressure gauge with a pull ring? or adapting a pull ring style PRV to the pin lock lid? I'm sure it's possible with a welder, I'm just wondering if anyone has done it. I hate these plastic hansen valves, but before I order new ones I want to see if there's another option.

Back