How much dextrose for 1 gallon IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
Brewed an IPA and been in primary for 3wks. Trying to find out how much dextrose would be needed to get the correct carbonation for an IPA? Also is it better to use dme which I also have?

Brewed an IPA and been in primary for 3wks. Trying to find out how much dextrose would be needed to get the correct carbonation for an IPA? Also is it better to use dme which I also have?

Dextrose (corn sugar) or table sugar is fine. I wouldn't bother with the DME.

I use .75 ounce of corn sugar per finished gallon of beer for priming.

Do you know if I can use a growler rather than actual bottles? I have two 64oz glass growlers with metal screw on caps and wondering if anyone has used them and put primed beer into and then drink straight from the growler rather than bottle 12 or so 12 oz bottles??

Do you know if I can use a growler rather than actual bottles? I have two 64oz glass growlers with metal screw on caps and wondering if anyone has used them and put primed beer into and then drink straight from the growler rather than bottle 12 or so 12 oz bottles??

Growlers have been known to not hold the pressure of carbonation, and can break/blow up. One guy had the bottom blow out, so no one was hurt, but it can be very dangerous. They are meant for storing carbonated beer, but not rated for the pressure of carbonated the beer.

If you have one gallon of beer, that's 10 bottles of 12 ouncers. You could use 22 ounce bombers if you want.

One thing to keep in mind is that bottle conditioned beer has sediment on the bottom, and pouring the beer in one motion means stopping when you see sediment coming out. Using a bigger bottle or a growler means stirring up the sediment with every pour, plus means drinking the entire thing in one sitting. If you mean to drink the beer in one pour into a glass, that's the size vessel you should use.

Got it. I'll just stick to my 22oz bottles then.
Thanks!

Here's a bottle priming Calculator from the Screwy Brewer. You enter/choose your target CO2 volume, a list is below the calc, beer temperature, beer volume and priming ingredient and it'll figure how much sugar in the whichever measurement you want.

Back