RedHop Ale (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
17-20
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7-10 @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 68
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.39 gal
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 22.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 70.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.85 %
1.00 lb Crystal 90 (90.0 SRM) Grain 8.51 %
1.00 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 8.51 %
0.25 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2.13 %
1.00 oz Warrior [16.40 %] (60 min) Hops 51.2 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 13.2 IBU
3.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (5 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
5.50 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11.75 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 3.67 gal of water at 170.1 F 154.0 F

This beer is tasting great on tap at 3.5 weeks. Malt nose of an Amber with some hops in the nose. Nice bitterness to balance it out and a strong hop finish. SWMBO is a BMC drinker and she can't get enough of it.

View attachment RedHop Ale.bsm

Photo from a crappy camera added. This really turned out well. Even SWMBO, who usually doesn't like my hopped up brews, really likes it.

redhop_small.jpg

Limited Visibility said:
Looks delish!!!!

You wouldn't have an extract version of that or partial mash... I'm trying to get the SWMBO to like a hoppy beer.

I'd recommend steeping the crystal, special b and white wheat, then using enough LME/DME to achieve the same OG.

This looks good. I the LHBS has all this in stock I am making it tomorrow!

:rockin: Thanks for the recipe :mug:

They didn't have warrior at LHBS so I had to substitue millenia. Just realized I got two packs of millenia by mistake and no crystal. Good thing the LHBS is only a 15 minute drive.

I'm sure that it will turn out fine, although I wasn't able to find any information on the aa% of the hop that you mentioned in your post.

Hopefully you adjusted the AAU's based upon the aa% of the hops that you used. My 16.4% Warrior pellets are friggin amazing for bittering, but it's the 3 oz. of Crystal at 5 minutes that make this beer, IMO. :rockin:

I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. I'll be brewing this one again soon, and may even bring a keg of it to NHC.

This one was brewed yesterday with Millenium, Amarilo and Crystal hops. My LHBS has not been able to get any Warrior for a while. It is happily bubbling away in the carboy. I will let you know how it turns out in 5 or 6 weeks. Thanks again for posting the recipe!

I just compared my latest batch of this to Stone's Arrogant Bastard. The color is identical. The head on AB is tan, mine is white. This isn't anywhere near as hoppy as AB, but I'd call it about a 2/3 AB. The taste is remarkably similar, but much more subdued.

This was bottled on May 3rd and has been in my "drinking rotation" for a while now. Excellent! It was a little too bitter for some of my BMC drinking friends at the lake Memorial Day, but I love it!

does this taste anything like an elliot ness? I've been looking for a clone recipe.

No, it's nothing like Eliot Ness at all. This beer has a muc stronger hop character and it's not as clean, as Eliot Ness is a lager.

Looks like it's been awhile on this one but it looks tasty, has anyone brewed it lately? I'm looking for a hoppy red/amber for my next brew, somewhere along the lines of Bear Republic Red Rocket. Do you think that this recipe falls roughly into that style?

Thanks

I might give this guy a try. I am trying to plan ahead before I go to the LHBS. If they don't have warrior I am thinking Chinook or Columbus. Does anyone have any better substitutions?

Looks like it's been awhile on this one but it looks tasty, has anyone brewed it lately? I'm looking for a hoppy red/amber for my next brew, somewhere along the lines of Bear Republic Red Rocket. Do you think that this recipe falls roughly into that style?

Thanks

I've never had red rocket, but this is a hoppy amber for sure. It might get you pretty close.

Latest posts

Back