Clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelpeach76

Reaction score
Just did an AG batch last weekend. After all was said and done and in my primary I realized.....S***! I forgot to add my whirlfloc tablet for clarity. Naturally this raises some questions: Is the batch ruined now by any off flavors or will it make anyone sick? Or does that just mean it won't be as clear and pretty as usual. I don't know why I forgot it I usually don't... I guess it's a good idea to not drink too much while brewing.

FWIW I've never used whirlfloc once in the three years I've been brewing and I've never had anyone complain about anything, let alone off flavors or sickness. Drink on, don't disturb the primary when racking and keep the auto-siphon off the trub and you should have no problems w/ clarity.

Nah,it'll be fine. It'll just take more time & patience for it to clear. Leave it in primary till it reaches a stable FG. Then give it another 3-7 days to settle out clear,or slightly misty. By slightly misty I mean you can see through it in the hydrometer tube,but not clearly.

Sorry I was mistaken...I actually brewed 2 weeks ago... and I'm now dry hopping in my secondary.

I still wouldn't worry about it. A lot of people never use whirlfloc and still get very clear beer. If you're really worried about it just make your friends wear blindfolds while drinking it, that should fix everything. :mug:

I hope at 2 weeks you got a stable FG? Anyway,give it time in secondary to clear up more. The dry hop can go from 7-10 days,so that might well do it.

Been brewing for 4/5 years and the only time I've had a problem with clarity is when I didn't give it a cold break and ended up with chill haze.. never used wirlfloc or any other clearing agents.. even if I've slightly shaken the FV just before bottling that settles out fine in the aging weeks..

For me good beer comes first, aesthetics second. After all, are you gonna drink it or look at it? lol
HAHAHA....point taken. That was half of my concern though.... that the haziness would lend any off flavors...guess not. if you guys aren't concerned I won't be.

That's why I like a high flocculation yeast,time,& patience. Just gotta get my wort chill stabilized better for that less than 20 minute chill. That gets rid of chill haze pruducers nicely when done right. That may help with the hop haze some.

For me good beer comes first, aesthetics second. After all, are you gonna drink it or look at it? lol
i used to be of that opinion, but someone recently made me more receptive to caring about color and clarity, because they do influence the experience of drinking a beer. a pale ale or a light lager that is dark and cloudy doesn't look right, and the drinker might expect something much heavier as he/she tastes it. having the color and clarity be in line with the style sets proper expectations.

but it's definitely a secondary consideration. taste comes first.

also, regarding your signature:
PanzerBanana said:
I've invented the phrase "hot lager" for lagers made at ale temperatures. Feel free to use it just give me credit!
i have no idea if you're being facetious, but in case you're not:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_beer
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/132
and if you are, then please go back to ignoring me :)

Ive never used wirlifloc. My beers look like this. Yours will be fine too.

image-1846919782.jpg

Back