Phil's sparger - won't spin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblvsn

Reaction score
Alright, I bought one of these cheap looking Phil's sparge arms for doing my partial mashes. I got everything situated and flipped on the water to it and the stupid thing won't spin. I had plenty of gravity and water to feed it. If you constantly flicked it with your finger it would spin, but that kinda defeats the purpose. Any tips or tricks for getting this thing to work right?

Did you have alot of excess hose, or was it a pretty straight shot????

While this may seem pretty obvious, some people don't realize that there are end caps that have to be put into the part that spins. Otherwise, the water doesn't build up enough pressure.

My SS sparger came with like 5' of hose... it wont run with all of that hose. I cut it off, there is now only about 10" and it runs great, there is always too much hose.

I will try cutting off all but the hose I need and see if that helps. Yes I do have the end caps in the sparger. And yes it does spin freely when helped. Will check it out tonight and if I have any more troubles sounds like I just might have to exchange this one. Thanks for all the quick replies.

I have a small SS pump that does 4 gallons a minute. I hooked it up to a VFD drive to slow it down and tube it to the sparger and it works great. I then use it to CIP all my stuff at the end of the day. Put the pump full speed and recirculate the cleaning solution!!

I have one of these with the same problem. If I put the lauter tun high enough to make it spin, the sparge water sprinkles so hard, it sprays out the top of the mash tun and not into the grain. Frankly, the thing sucks. I batch sparge now...

Back