What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mikebowman said:
exactly! thats what it says on the label. I was wrong, also. It's 70 IBU's. So the low end of an Imperial IPA, but delicious

My appologies, I assumed a brewery would know enough to label their own beer correctly. IIPAs start at 60 IBUs and 7.5% ABV

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G using Home Brew Talk

pm5k00 said:
My appologies, I assumed a brewery would know enough to label their own beer correctly. IIPAs start at 60 IBUs and 7.5% ABV

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G using Home Brew Talk

Lol dude imperial ipa has no official starting points, only suggestions by various guides who attempt to define styles.

DannPM said:
Lol dude imperial ipa has no official starting points, only suggestions by various guides who attempt to define styles.

The BJCP is as official as it gets as far as this is concerned... so if you even want to call it a "style" instead of just a "beer" then yes, it does have official starting points.

The BJCP is as official as it gets as far as this is concerned... so if you even want to call it a "style" instead of just a "beer" then yes, it does have official starting points.

Really? I guess you've never looked at the GABF style guidelines which is what the pros use in competitions, The great Micheal Jackon's catalog of beer styles are among the biggest and most respected alongside the BJCP.

There are, as well, a plethora of smaller scale attempts to define styles such as beertutor.com's style guide, Hybrid guide based on the BJCP and Brewer's Association like this one from Greatbrewers.com, ratebeer.com's, beeradvocate.com's, as well as dozens of others.

Check them all out, they have something in common, sometimes a lot in common, but are never defined as exactly the same for each, with agreed cutoff's for IBU, abv, OG, FG, etc.

So no there is no "official" starting and cutoff points for each style, it's all relative, and very loosely defined, when not using the BJCP like a Bible of commands.

DannPM said:
Really? I guess you've never looked at the GABF style guidelines which is what the pros use in competitions, The great Micheal Jackon's catalog of beer styles are among the biggest and most respected alongside the BJCP.

There are, as well, a plethora of smaller scale attempts to define styles such as beertutor.com's style guide, Hybrid guide based on the BJCP and Brewer's Association like this one from Greatbrewers.com, ratebeer.com's, beeradvocate.com's, as well as dozens of others.

Check them all out, they have something in common, sometimes a lot in common, but are never defined as exactly the same for each, with agreed cutoff's for IBU, abv, OG, FG, etc.

So no there is no "official" starting and cutoff points for each style, it's all relative, and very loosely defined, when not using the BJCP like a Bible of commands.

The BJCP and GABF agree with the starting point though. I
Made an 8% IPA and still didn't really feel like it was Imperial enough. I guess this is where the double comes in even though the double isn't recognized by anyone. Who cares anyway. The pros seem to follow the guidelines even less than the homebrewers do.

The double arrogant bastard:) wow was gonna brew a stout but now I'm gonna give this beer a shot! Gotta search for/build a recipe

The double arrogant bastard:) wow was gonna brew a stout but now I'm gonna give this beer a shot! Gotta search for/build a recipe

Me too!

I actually picked up one of the 3L bottles today. Allegedly one of only 8 that made it to Louisiana. Its badass.

I am not drinking that, tho, picked up some bombers as well. Gonna save the massive bottle for a special occasion.

discnjh said:
Its not his fault that they call it an imperial. :D

Exactly, what can I say! It may be a little low on the IIPA guidelines, but it sounds like that's how it should be entered.

Drinking a snow angel at the ram now. Another decent beer. Too bad it's only their seasons that do much for me, but they've almost always got something tasty!

And my comment, by the way, was to the fact that it doesn't fit into the guidelines. I think they're broad enough to encompass most beers (not to derail the thread)

Again, I am drinking!

DannPM said:
My point exactly :mug:

Agreed, getting hung up on a bunch of "guidelines" is pretty pointless imho. I just try to brew the beer I like to drink, if that happens to fall into some kind of imaginary grey area then so be it.

Just finished a bottle of Yukon Brewing's Birch Beer, a Marzen brewed with birch tree sap. Interesting combo.

Bear Republic APEX. Nothing exceptional, just competent, with a ton of that weirdly chocolatey thing I get from Mirror Pond.

ForumRunner_20111107_194830.jpg

I always go through this same process of feeling disapointed the first few months of my newly bottled beer, then i pull one out and go wow,yeah this is what it should be.
Drinking my smoked scottish 80, bottled Aug.4- now at its peak 3 months, its about where i like em all i think pretty much

Old Fezziwig Ale.... Loved this one last year... my tastes changed I guess this year, not as much as a fan. I really dug the Black and Brew though.\

also had the last a 6er of Post Road Pumpkin Ale (Brooklyn Brewery) and some of my Nut Brown homebrew.

a homebrew ESB from my last batch (5 months old). surprisingly good still but I like the latest/fresher version more. now a Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Wild, yum

I_B_Mongo said:
Founders Backwoods Bastard. Its so amazing to drink this one slowly, as it really changes with the temps.

My local beer store is holding a four pack for me. Can't wait to go pick it up!

Powerhouse India Red Ale. It's delicious! Like a cross between an American IPA and a nice malty amber. Great red/amber color, and an amazing citrusy hop aroma.

Definitely one of the best Washington state beers.

Boulevard Saison-Brett. Aged roughly six months in my cellar and omg has this brett character developed!

Back