German vs. American wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gritsak

Reaction score
I'm brewing up a hefe this weekend using WLP300 yeast. The recipe i'm using calls for 60% german wheat, 40% german pils. I've got access to briess white wheat, and also Weyermann wheat. I know Weyermann is a German company, but does this necessarily mean it's a "German" wheat? Will there be any difference in flavor using an America wheat?

Thanks

I'm brewing up a hefe this weekend using WLP300 yeast. The recipe i'm using calls for 60% german wheat, 40% german pils. I've got access to briess white wheat, and also Weyermann wheat. I know Weyermann is a German company, but does this necessarily mean it's a "German" wheat? Will there be any difference in flavor using an America wheat?

Thanks

Yes.

and

Yes, a large difference. If you are going to sub something, sub the pils for some 2row. I can't tell the difference with those two.

Yes.

and

Yes, a large difference. If you are going to sub something, sub the pils for some 2row. I can't tell the difference with those two.

yes, weyemann wheat is a true German wheat?

I'm not subbing something just to do it, it's what i have access to. I can get the german pils.

Austin Homebrew carries red wheat. I used it with german pils to brew a hefe a couple weeks ago. Just kegged it on monday. The hydro sample was great! I used wyeast 3068 this time instead of wlp 300.

I can't actually find any mention of weyermann making a "red" wheat. From there website it seems like they only make dark, caramel, and pale:

http://www.weyermannmalt.com/eng/produkte.asp?idkat=17&umenue=yes&idmenue=37&sprache=2

Pale is the red wheat. While the picture on the store's website you called out looks like normal 2row and not weyermann wheat, I would presume it is just an image they use for every grain, and the grain you would be purchasing is Weyermann Red Wheat.

If I understand correctly Red is the cultivar of the wheat. It grows as either a red or white. Like Chardonnay vrs. Riesling. Same plant different variety. The dark, carmel, or pale is in reference to the roasting process.

So I think what they are saying is that German wheat is usually the red wheat variety and American wheat is generally the white wheat variety.

I may be way wrong.

If I understand correctly Red is the cultivar of the wheat. It grows as either a red or white. Like Chardonnay vrs. Riesling. Same plant different variety. The dark, carmel, or pale is in reference to the roasting process.

So I think what they are saying is that German wheat is usually the red wheat variety and American wheat is generally the white wheat variety.

I may be way wrong.

Correct. "German" wheat generally refers to red wheat, which is what nearly every german hefeweizen you've ever had uses. White wheat is used in American hefeweizens and imparts much less flavor.

Pale is the red wheat. While the picture on the store's website you called out looks like normal 2row and not weyermann wheat, I would presume it is just an image they use for every grain, and the grain you would be purchasing is Weyermann Red Wheat.

Great, thanks for the help.

I asked for red wheat at the LHBS, and the guy dug around and opened a new sack from Crisp UK.
I didn't see where it said "red" on the bag, but honestly I didn't fully examine it. Drinking it now in my hefe-delicious.

Back