Dark Lord Day 2010

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit disappointed that 3F decided to change the Golden ticket purchasable quantity from 4 to 3 arbitrarily halfway through the day. Isn't the whole point of the ticket system so that they know ahead of time exactly how many each person can buy? Would have hated to have been the poor guy that was first to find out that even though the guy ahead of him got 8 bottles, he was only allowed to purchase 6. Seems a bit shady to me.

I saw a few people still getting 8 bottles for 2 tickets but the person that was selling me bottles wouldn't budge on the new 3 bottle limit.

Anyway I didn't stay till much after 5, I asked the line (which was well within the 3 floyds parking lot, not in the street anymore) and they said they were in line for extras, but if you had a ticket you went straight to the front of the line. I don't know if they had anything left over, but people were lined up for it.

Also when Rich and I were getting bottles they were willing to sell 2009 bottles for $20 but only as a substitution for 2010, so 3 bottles no matter what vintage you got. I think the 2010 is a better vintage than 2009 so I didn't get any more '09

Also when Rich and I were getting bottles they were willing to sell 2009 bottles for $20 but only as a substitution for 2010, so 3 bottles no matter what vintage you got. I think the 2010 is a better vintage than 2009 so I didn't get any more '09

Interesting, because they didn't count the 2009 bottles against the 3 bottle limit when I was up there. Sounds like 3F needs to work on their planning and communication, given how inconsistent they were in managing the sales.

The funny part about dropping from 4 per to 3 is that after all of the ticket holders got through, they still had extra they were selling at 3 per person. I went back and got 3 more, and one of my friends went through twice and got 6 more.

I would like to have NOT been blacked out by 3:00PM. The guest taps should not be 16ozers. I'm not responsible enough to manage my drunkenness so someone else should do it for me.

Hey Rich, since Tom "Knows people" think he could get me/us a grain bill for Dark Lord?

I just tried my "Clone" last night, it is not a bad beer, a little high in the fusel alcohols still, but it is more bitter than Dark Lord. That was my first time brewing an RIS and I think I have good bitterness for an RIS.... but Dark Lord doesn't really have a lot of hop bitterness, I'm dropping the hops down next time.

The funny part about dropping from 4 per to 3 is that after all of the ticket holders got through, they still had extra they were selling at 3 per person. I went back and got 3 more, and one of my friends went through twice and got 6 more.

This was un-effin-believable. A group of my friends got their guaranteed four bottles per ticket while I, stupidly joined another group in the brewpub, to give this brewery a couple more hundreds of dollars collectively for food and drink before picking up my "guaranteed" bottles. Guaranteed my @$$. They would only sell me three per ticket. And now to find out that they had so many left over that they were selling them to anyone who came along, three bottles at a time?!?!?!?!!!! I am so angry about how this went down. I don't think I'm going again.

A bit disappointed that 3F decided to change the Golden ticket purchasable quantity from 4 to 3 arbitrarily halfway through the day. Isn't the whole point of the ticket system so that they know ahead of time exactly how many each person can buy? Would have hated to have been the poor guy that was first to find out that even though the guy ahead of him got 8 bottles, he was only allowed to purchase 6. Seems a bit shady to me.

Exactly. We got there at noon and the line was all the way around the next block by the trucks. We walked all the way up to the brewery and asked one of the Floyds what lines were for what and to be honest these guys are complete ********. He wouldn’t answer a single question all he would say is he didn’t know anything and to figure it out ourselves. So we ended up getting in line and waited and waited and waited. Finally at 4:30 we were still just passed the Coors Truck! At that point my buddy and I gave up and just went to the front of the line and cut in. Of course we then were limited to 3 bottles per ticket.

The best part is that I offered to give a few people that I know one of my tickets if they wanted to go and all three people refused the ticket saying that they were put off by the 3F's the last time they went and wouldn’t give them anymore of their money, and after talking to a few of the 3F's I know exactly what they mean. This is my second encounter with them the other at a beer fest last year which they were ******** at also. At the other fest I tried asking about what brewing techniques they use and asked for some advise and I got the same don’t waste my time response. I mean why participate in a fest or have your own if you don’t like dealing with people?

Next year if we go again I am sorry but I am heading directly to the front of the line since there is no order of any kind and this event. The best part was when we actually got up to the entryway and we were told that we couldn’t use all of our tickets and we would have to get back in line to use the last two. We were waiting for 4 ½ hours and the ticket sales was over in 30 minutes and they still had a 4 hour line? I just went up to one of the ladies inside and told her that I wasn’t about to get back in line again and she just handed me a full case. She said the entire day was just a mess from the start. I didn’t even redeem any samples or anything I just took the case and went home.

Hey Rich, since Tom "Knows people" think he could get me/us a grain bill for Dark Lord?

I just tried my "Clone" last night, it is not a bad beer, a little high in the fusel alcohols still, but it is more bitter than Dark Lord. That was my first time brewing an RIS and I think I have good bitterness for an RIS.... but Dark Lord doesn't really have a lot of hop bitterness, I'm dropping the hops down next time.

What recipe did you use? I would like to try a DL or Goose Island Night Stalker clone.

Trade for what? DL?

as for the 3 vs 4 thing...very sour taste in my mouth over that :mad:

Yeah, I'd love to get a bottle of DarkLord and maybe something else from them. Not sure that I will be able to get you much that you can't already get though, seeing as we are geographically located pretty close. You guys get Shorts Brewing around there? They make an awesome IPA.

Offtopic, You still have your Legacy? Sell the Bimmer yet?

Does anyone know if it's bottle conditioned? I would really doubt that it is due to it's abv.

BTW did anyone else get to try the Avery Moloch? talk about an awesome flavor bomb!

The sharing/tasting tables were by far my favorite part of the day. I didn't bother with guest taps, I got to try more beer for a lot less money at the tables!

The bottle limit reduction was a real mood killer, along with FFF employees being dicks. Everyone I met was awesome, though. I got to try a bunch of homebrew, and the ever-elusive Westvleteren 12 which made my day.

If anyone got a photo of the empty bottle of Pliny on the cop car, I'd love to see it.

Anyone have any pictures? Starting to be glad we didn't get to go. Sounds like the whole thing was a cluster.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/storytellercody/sets/72157623932855836/show/

That's from the BA forums.

25790_599137237230_21909945_35730757_6715446_n.jpg

BAM

I had a really good time on Saturday, but honestly, I put zero effort in to getting any DL bottles. I didn't wait in line, I didn't have Golden Tickets. Me and my buddies just set up our chairs in front of the brewhouse and chilled out all day, making friends and drinking beer. Found some other HBTers, so talked some shop with them, traded a few homebrews, grilled up some delicious brats and burgers, found somebody to trade a homebrew for a cigar, good day through and through.

I guess I did something right, because one of my 'new friends' just up and gave me a bottle of DL at the end of the day.

Next year, I'll probably do the same thing, don't sweat the DL at all (it's not worth all that trouble in my eyes). I definitely would love to be part of an HBT tent/table set up. Maybe if we can find some open lawn space, set up a quick brew rig, and just hang out and chill all day with some fellow beer lovers.

And, yeah, the 3F employees were being huge pricks.

I can ask.

What did you think of these beers I gave you?

Yeah, I'd love to get a bottle of DarkLord and maybe something else from them. Not sure that I will be able to get you much that you can't already get though, seeing as we are geographically located pretty close. You guys get Shorts Brewing around there? They make an awesome IPA.

Offtopic, You still have your Legacy? Sell the Bimmer yet?

I make it out to MI all the time, can you get anything from 3 F's

I have the LGT and I'm planning a S10 build :)

Photo_361.jpg

one of my buddies works there, so i got one of the magic pink bracelets (free food and drink all day.)

it was a total mess though.

at one point i was standing in the middle of the crowd and some dude asked me if i was in the line for the atm. i was like...where the f**k is the atm?

I make it out to MI all the time, can you get anything from 3 F's

I have the LGT and I'm planning a S10 build :)

I can't get anything at all. I don't believe its distributed to MI. Wish I was closer to the South Side of Michigan, although it is nice being right next to Founders.

I can ask.

What did you think of these beers I gave you?

I have not tried them yet, I'll break one out tonight!

Oh and a brew-rig or even just a HBT tent would be awesome next year!! I don't know if they'd let us brew but it would be pretty sweet to be able to do so. So you are in charge then DRoy? ;)

I can't get anything at all. I don't believe its distributed to MI. Wish I was closer to the South Side of Michigan, although it is nice being right next to Founders.
I will be up in Mi in a few months and I can bring you some of their stuff. I only got 3 bottles of DLD so it would be hard pressed to separate with one :(

Oh and a brew-rig or even just a HBT tent would be awesome next year!! I don't know if they'd let us brew but it would be pretty sweet to be able to do so. So you are in charge then DRoy? ;)

I would love to be part of the organization next year. I did a quick walk around on Saturday hoping to find some of you guys, and just thought it'd be great if we had a get together.

I'm definitely going to keep posted on DLD next year, and try to get something going. Not even sure I want Golden Tickets though...

If Rich ends up coming my way I'll have him pick me up a few different thing.... or as much as my wife will let me spend. LOL

Im going to the Tri-cities sometime next month for a wedding. Thats all I know the boss has details LOL

Back