How long to wait to drink beer after having wisdom teeth pulled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollidaySlim

Reaction score
Well as the subject title says I had my wisdom teeth pulled on friday and was wondering when yall think is a good time frame to start drinking alcohol again? I was thinkin like a week.

As long as you don't disturb the blood clots and your medication (if any) is alcohol compatable, I say go for it.

Just don't disturb those clots!

Yeah, the primary risk is drug interaction. I drank 2 days after my surgery, mainly because I never had to take pain medication. Smoking afterwards, on the other hand, was not smart...... :(

like 30 seconds

post this over at the Brewing Network forum, Doc (a dentist) will give you more intelligent advice than me.

I was going to say as soon as you get home but not if you are on pain killers.
Hmm I'd say as long as you aren't taking antibiotics the reaction with alcohol will make the pain killers work better..just limit it to 1 or 2 spaced and slowly consumed over a couple hours.

You should be drinking right away. As long as your not opening the bottles with your teeth, you should be fine.

ok well thanks to the many great minds here I came home from work and had me a nice cold one. I waited till now because of the vicondin i was taking and didnt really want to mix the 2.

budbo said:
Hmm I'd say as long as you aren't taking antibiotics the reaction with alcohol will make the pain killers work better..just limit it to 1 or 2 spaced and slowly consumed over a couple hours.
Yeah, if your medicine says you should take it and operate heavy machinery, that's a good sign you should wash every pill down with a pint. :ban:

HollidaySlim said:
ya im on vicodin so I think Ill wait till i dont have to take that anymore:cross: Thanks for the reply.

That's what I was on a while ago. Well if your reaction to it is similar to mine you wont have to worry about drinking.... I was sleeping mostly. Put me out cold.

why wait? who says drugs and alcohol don't mix. I had four impacted wisdom teeth removed shortly after I turned 21. I lived on a liquid diet of beer, jello, and chicken broth for two weeks.

:D You do know what vicodin is right ? :D Should not be a problem taking vicodin at 10 am and drinking a beer at 5pm... but I wouldn't down the vicodin with a beer.

Yea I know vicodin is a narcotic, funny thing I had like 3 people I work with come up and ask if they could buy some off me. ( and I dont work in a bad place either, It is a professional office enviroment) I was like, naw i like the stuff to much to give it up:rockin:

glibbidy said:
I lived on a liquid diet of beer, jello, and chicken broth for two weeks.
I hate that you cant eat alot of things, I have been living on pudding, jello, and mac and cheese for the past few days, it sucks!!!!

HollidaySlim said:
I hate that you cant eat alot of things, I have been living on pudding, jello, and mac and cheese for the past few days, it sucks!!!!

I ended up losing around 15 lbs. because I was in too much pain to eat, and filled up quickly on the liquids. Hands down the removal of those four impacted wisdom teeth was the most painful experience of my life. :(

I don't understand what the appeal of Vicodin is. My wife got some with her dental surgery, and only used some for a few days. I asked if I could try one for my 'back pain' heh, and all it did was make me dizzy. And not the fun kind of dizzy, closer to the 'maybe if I hold onto the floor I won't throw up' kind of dizzy. It didn't even make my back pain go away either.

All in all, a ripoff and glad the insurance paid for the pain meds. I'll stick with making/drinking beer.

Made me dizzy too. Took the pain away as well, but dizziness was certainly a side effect. Nothing beat the morphine I got at the hospital though.

Old thread but I had one taken out yesterday morn. No drinks yesterday, but im enjoying some vodka and cranberry juice now. Ive read the carbo in beer can disrupt the clot.

martinfan30 said:
Old thread but I had one taken out yesterday morn. No drinks yesterday, but im enjoying some vodka and cranberry juice now. Ive read the carbo in beer can disrupt the clot.

Curious, did you search this topic out for reassurance of your decision?

Well as the subject title says I had my wisdom teeth pulled on friday and was wondering when yall think is a good time frame to start drinking alcohol again? I was thinkin like a week.

Soon as you're OFF YOUR PAIN MEDS. You don't want to end up like Karen Ann Quinlan.
Make some plain old Lipton black tea, save the used teabag(s) & use them to cover the sockets while you drink/smoke. This really does work well, I know from personal experience with wisdom tooth extraction.
Regards, GF.

EDIT: The OP was from 2006?!? damn, I need to start reading the dates on posts more often.
At least the response I gave is still valid for those whao have recently had an extraction. BTW, who dredges up these ancient posts?
Regards, GF.

Gotta keep this old a$$ thread alive, just had 2 wisdom teeth and 4 eye teeth pulled yesterday morning. I miss beer so much how did your clot hold up against the carbonation? :tank:

Someone asked all that time ago what the allure to vicadin was. I know it hits people differently, but let me just say that I personally made a list of other non essential body parts that could be removed. I dont remember, however, when I started drinking again afterwards... I just remember loving vicadin.

Someone asked all that time ago what the allure to vicadin was. I know it hits people differently, but let me just say that I personally made a list of other non essential body parts that could be removed. I dont remember, however, when I started drinking again afterwards... I just remember loving vicadin.

Lovvve vicodin. I always save the extras for when I throw out my back. I take one with a manhatten and the pain drifts awayyyyyyy.............

I like that teabag idea. Im gonna do that. I just had them removed today (all 4. 3 were impacted :( ) I need a beer.

Back