Top 3 Underrated Beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreezyBrew

IPA is my spirit animal
Reaction score
What are your fav beers to drink that might not get all that much attention? Here's my 3:

1: Stone Self Righteous Ale
2: Lagunitas Hop Stoopid
3: Dogfish Head India Brown Ale

Boy tough call but currently

Avery Maharaja
No Li Born and Raised (IPA)
Bale Breaker Top Cutter (IPA)

Lots of IPAs on my list

Just curious... Where are you from Nightshade? I'm from Spokane and trying to see how far No Li has made it.

1. Goose Island IPA
2. Green Flash Palate Wrecker
3. Stone Cali-Belgique

Left Hand 400 Pound Monkey: Nice EIPA that people under-rate b/c it's not overhopped
French Broad Rye Hopper APA
Dos Equis Amber: Fav go to at the Mexican restaurant

Left Hand 400 Pound Monkey: Nice EIPA that people under-rate b/c it's not overhopped
French Broad Rye Hopper APA
Dos Equis Amber: Fav go to at the Mexican restaurant

I've got to agree on the Dos Equis Amber!

Also...

Boneyard RPM (Hop venom gets most of the hype)
Goodlife Descender
Everybody's Local Lager

Just curious... Where are you from Nightshade? I'm from Spokane and trying to see how far No Li has made it.

I am in the Tri-cities, Richland to be specific and I am very impressed with all their brews so far.

passedpawn said:
Lazy Magnolia Timber Beast.

Never see this mentioned, but it's a very good IIPA. I guess Mississippi beers don't get much cred.

I've been praising Timber Beast (on the What are you drinking now thread) since it hit Florida. Awesome rye DIPA, or would it be a DRIPA?

1. Snake River Zonker Stout (cuz I'm drinking one right now and it's awesome).
2. Snake River Pako's IPA (cuz I wish I was drinking one next).
3. Firestone-Walker Velvet Merlin (just cuz).

1. Dogfishhead, Punkin ale
2. Firestone, Velvet Merlin
3. Laguntias, Coffee stout, I think was the name of it. It was a bomber. And tasted bad.

1. Ayinger Altbiarisch Dunkel.
Probably my favorite German beer.

2. Poperinge Hommelbier.
I never hear anybody talk about this delicious hoppy golden ale.

3. Short's Huma Lupa Licious.
It never seems to get the love that other IPAs get and its a go to for me.

1.) Thomas Creek Up The Creek Extreme IPA
2.) Weihenstephaner Korbinian Dopplebock
3.) Can't decide, I'll have to try again later

Regarding Thomas Creek, I've never heard anyone mention this beer, this brewery, or even the state of SC when talking about favorite beers. They were a total unknown to me and I've never tried anything else of theirs, but this one is a serious winner if maltiness is your style.

As far as Weihenstephaner, their Hefeweissbier is frequently praised all over the place, but I never seem to see anyone mention the Korbinian.

1. Deschutes-Jubelale
2. Big Sky-Moose Drool
3. Ninkasi/21st Amendment-Allies Win the War

Lagunitatas cappuccino stout!! Just one, but I truly think this beer is great!

Going to go with 3 more "Dark Horse" picks here:

Dogfish Head - Noble Rot
Green Flash- Le Freak
Boulevard - Tank 7

- Kern River Class V Stout (everyone talks about Citra, but this imperial stout is amazing)
- Stone Pale Ale (I've been guilty of going right past it to the hoppier stuff they offer, but this one really is a great beer)
- DFH Midas Touch (there's just something about this one I really like)

most of the Alpine hop forward beers. They get some hype, but nowhere near the other beers in their peer group(Heady Topper, Pliny, Sculpin, ect.) Funny thing is, they are as good or better than the aforementioned peer group. As far as consistent hoppy offerings, they are tops.

Surly Furious. They get some hype, especially among homebrewers(probably due to the NB kits) but not the amount it should.

My top 3 favorite underrated brews are:

1. Founders Red's Rye PA
2. Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA
3. Great Lakes Brewing company Burning River Pale ale

1) Revolution Anti-Hero. Best IPA on the market IMO.
2) Pipeworks Blood of the Unicorn. If you can find a beer with better aroma I will gladly accept it!
3) Sixpoint Resin. I don't see it mentioned much, but I dig it.

1. Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - You might think it's good, but it's still underrated.
2. Almost anything from Short's Brewery - Especially Huma Lupa Licious!!
3. Kona's Pipeline Porter - should be in every store, everywhere!

Southern Tier Pumking DESTROYS that beer.

1. Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel
2. Southern Tier Live (when fresh)
3. Not sure if you would consider it under-rated but Troegs Nugget Nectar blows me away every year.

Pumking is too sweet for me, I can't drink it at all. NN is great, but overrated if anything.

1 - Troegs Java Head
2 - CBC Charles River Porter
3 - Schlafly Pumpkin Ale

Troegs Nugget Nectar would be on my list too. They really hit a home run with that one. Nice marriage of flavors and caramels vs. bitterness.

Straub? They next generation took over and is getting quite crafty with some small batch releases that they're getting out on taps. good stuff and it's nice to see an older, small, brewery with an American lager tradition evolve as it is.

Yuengling Black & Tan. It's the American Schwartzbeer category all to itself.

I'll add most things out of Great Lake, but I'll point out The Lake Erie Monster (Imperial IPA) is my fav of the category.

I'll add most things out of Great Lake, but I'll point out The Lake Erie Monster (Imperial IPA) is my fav of the category.

I've been drinking the crap out of that lately. Man oh man is it delicious.

Of course, the first time I had it was at a sports bar and I didn't realize it was over 9% abv... Surprise!

Pumking is too sweet for me, I can't drink it at all. NN is great, but overrated if anything.

Huh, I think it's really drinkable for a spiced fall beer @ around 8%. That's why I like it.

I picked up a sixer of Nugget Nectar for the Super Bowl right before the game. The store (Premier) didn't even have out on the shelves yet, found it stacked up in the keg cooler. According to the stamp on the bottles, it had been bottled 3 days before I drank it that night. Pretty special.

Ooh, if I could add a fourth to my list, Great Lakes Dortmunder Export. I love that stuff, my most medaled homebrew was my attempt at cloning that beer.

Back