www.fiftypoundsack.com - cheap bulk grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
with free shipping its not a bad deal

1.30 sucks but hey, all LHBS suck and jack prices. 5 years ago it was .65 cents for base malt

Some grains come in 50lb and some in 55lb.

I just started to buy in bulk, and the best I could find locally was $53.50/50lb of 2 row and no bulk option on much else, so $2-3/lb on the rest.

Hmm. My experience is that other than Crystal malt from canada, it is pretty much all 55lb sacks from maltsters.

I must be mistaken.

At least that was how it was the last time I ordered a pallet of grain for a bulk buy. I was wishing all 42 of those sacks weighed less! :rockin:

That's on par with what I get at the LHBS, but I don't have to wait for/pay for shipping.

Ditto. My LHBS also has just about everything I would want and can order it for me if I need it. We also don't have any sales tax. Montanaandy

GW in Vancouver is selling directly to LHBS shops in 50# bags which has dropped the prices around here. No direct sales yet but maybe after their expansion.

Hmm. My experience is that other than Crystal malt from canada, it is pretty much all 55lb sacks from maltsters.

I must be mistaken.

Malts from Canada (or anywhere else in the world) are 55lbs, because they actually sell them as "25 kilograms".

Malts from US (briess, for example) are 50lbs, because we are f'ed up and don't use the metric system.

I'm so lucky being in my area (near Portland)! 50# sacks of great western 2-row and pale are only $30, sometimes a couple dollars less! And no sales tax! I don't know what shipping is but you could try my LHBS, mainbrew.com.

And http://BrewBrothers.biz will even deliver to your door free in the Portland Metro area if you spend $200... otherwise only $15! Or you can just go pick it up on the delivery routes if you can't make it out to their shop. Portland brewers have it too good :D

I do believe that the site is no where near finished last time I talked to them. Right now its bare bones something to get it online.

About $40-$50 per sack. Briess' packaging sucks (since they are not lined like most other maltsters), so I try to go with Rahr instead for my domestic 2-Row. Not sure what the current price is on British Pale malt at the LHBS.

I prefer Rahr anyway and I can get 50# sacks at $39-42 on-site at my LHBS. The guys that run mine are great and give me a sack of anything they have as long as they aren't going to run out by the next monthly shipment. They can also get me anything I want from Gambrinus, Rahr, Briess, Castle, Crisp, Simpsons, and Weyermann as long as I give them a month heads-up to ensure they get it on their next order.

Typical imported malts are around $65 per 55# bag.

Pretty tough to beat that and they are just 20 min away. If that wasn't an option, I think this online deal is pretty good. Much better pricing than AHBS or NB for example.

fiftypoundsack.com just pushed out their grand opening until next month.

That is beyond frustrating. I'm trying to get bulk grain for Christmas, and this was going to be the way I got it. It's a lot easier for relatives to go online and order than go to a LHBS in their area.

I prefer Rahr anyway

I wonder if it's just the water in my area that doesn't agree with Rahr or something. I got a sack of Rahr for the first (and last) time last year. Everything I made with it had a metallic taste. One of the other guys I hang out and brew with said he had the same issue.

I wonder if it's just the water in my area that doesn't agree with Rahr or something. I got a sack of Rahr for the first (and last) time last year. Everything I made with it had a metallic taste. One of the other guys I hang out and brew with said he had the same issue.

Really? I have never had that show in any of my beers or appear on a judge's sheet. Could it have been old or somehow contaminated? I presume you were using their basic 2-row? I like their 2-row, pils, and white wheat malts and have won an award for a Wit with Rahr's pils and white wheat as the primary fermentables. I suppose it COULD be water or their malting process... Briess and Rahr get their grains from a nearly identical region, so I doubt it is the grains themselves...

I wish I had room in my apt for bulk grains :(

I still need find cabinets that will hold carboys/buckets that don't look like garage-trash. Any suggestions?

/threadjack

...and here we are on "grand opening day" and nothing is yet for sale. Lame. No contact info. Nada. I'm in bulk buy limbo out here!

Just because it says it is going to open on 01/11/11, does not mean that it will magically open at 12:01a in each person's time zone.

Granted, I would sooner participate in a group buy, but the prices are reasonable considering the free shipping. For me, personally, there is no one "go-to" vendor for anything. I build out my orders against several vendors before buying from anyone. Prices change enough that I would be crazy not to shop around. ;) It is always welcome to have another point of comparison.

The cheapest I've found is Austin Home Brew $53.99 for 50# if I bump my order up to $100 for free shipping... I WISH i could find somewhere local... the closet place has 50#'s for $43 +tax and a 2 hour drive.. not worth it!!

I pay $60 for 50# of Briess at my LHBS which is 10 miles each way. But I don't pay tax since it's considered to be food.

Just because it says it is going to open on 01/11/11, does not mean that it will magically open at 12:01a in each person's time zone.

While I totally agree with the magical timezone sentiment, I think all of us who have been watching this site not open for months were just preparing for the inevitable: no change to the website whatsoever, and still no way to order grain or hops or contact the company in any way.

While I totally agree with the magical timezone sentiment, I think all of us who have been watching this site not open for months were just preparing for the inevitable: no change to the website whatsoever, and still no way to order grain or hops or contact the company in any way.

Amen to that. I was very excited for my relatives to be able to buy me bulk grain for Christmas. That dream was shattered when the Dec. 1st opening date came and went. Now, a month and a half later, it's still closed.

Where do you buy it cheaper?

I pay $60 for 50# of Briess at my LHBS which is 10 miles each way. But I don't pay tax since it's considered to be food.

I just bought a 50lb sack of Briess 2-row for $50 at South Hills Brewing Supply, which is $68 at fiftypoundsack. If the prices are roughly the same as one stop shops like AHS, BMW, etc., I won't go through the hassle of making seperate orders for grains.

Good lord. They're marking their bulk grain up 100%? I get 50# domestic malts for $38-42 a sack with no tax at my LHBS. Import bulk grains are closer to the price you are paying but for 55# sacks.

I just bought a 50lb sack of Briess 2-row for $50 at South Hills Brewing Supply, which is $68 at fiftypoundsack. If the prices are roughly the same as one stop shops like AHS, BMW, etc., I won't go through the hassle of making seperate orders for grains.

I get mine from Ben's Homebrew in Tarentum.

I just remembered South Hills Brewing opened a store in Monroeville. I'll have to check it out.

$65 for Rahr 2-row at my LHBS... robbery. I just got a #7 Barley Crusher for Christmas and I'm itching to use it! I'd rather order from Northern Brewer for $68 (including shipping) and not have to drive an hour round trip. It's a little depressing.

Is there really nowhere else on the internet to buy #55 lb sacks? I feel like there should be more competition between shops with the rate that this hobby is growing in popularity. Is Northern Brewer really my best option for bulk?

I understand that businesses need to increase their prices to make money, but It doesn't seem right that I should have to pay a 100% margin for my LHBS to profit.

$65 for Rahr 2-row at my LHBS... robbery. I just got a #7 Barley Crusher for Christmas and I'm itching to use it! I'd rather order from Northern Brewer for $68 (including shipping) and not have to drive an hour round trip. It's a little depressing.

Is there really nowhere else on the internet to buy #55 lb sacks? I feel like there should be more competition between shops with the rate that this hobby is growing in popularity. Is Northern Brewer really my best option for bulk?

I understand that businesses need to increase their prices to make money, but It doesn't seem right that I should have to pay a 100% margin for my LHBS to profit.

Austin homebrew supply has 55# of 2-row for $54, and free shipping on orders over $100. So you'd save $28 on 2 sacks compared to Northern Brewer.

From the looks of it, we have it pretty damn good here in San Antonio :rockin:
This is from Home Brew Party's excel price sheet and it tells me AHS is marking up WAY too much (Forrest???) if my little guy LHBS 2 hrs down the road can beat 'em by over $10

This thread has just solidified my commitment to giving them my business :mug:

Bulk Grains (Whole bag only)
Briess Grains 50 lbs
Munich 10L, Briess, 50 lbs $42.50
Pale Ale Malt (2 row), Briess, 50 lbs $43.75
Pale Malt (Brewers 2-row), Briess, 50 lbs $40.50
Pilsen, Briess, 50 lbs $43.75
Wheat, Briess, 50 lbs $42.50
Muntons (British) 2-Row 55 lbs
Lager, Muntons, 55 lbs $49.05
Maris Otter, Muntons, 55 lbs $51.80
Mild Ale, Muntons, 55 lbs $49.05
Pale Ale (Brewers 2-row), Muntons, 55 lbs $49.05
Wheat, Muntons, 55 lbs $53.45
Weyermann 2-row German Grain Malts 55 lbs
Light Wheat, Weyermanns, 55 lbs $43.63
Munich, Weyermanns, 55 lbs $45.83
Pale Ale, Weyermanns, 55 lbs $45.83
Pilsner, Weyermanns, 55 lbs $45.83

From the looks of it, we have it pretty damn good here in San Antonio :rockin:
This is from Home Brew Party's excel price sheet and it tells me AHS is marking up WAY too much (Forrest???)

That's how companies subsidize the "free shipping" offers. Roll the cost into heavier/bulk items to deflect the cost. His actual shipping cost isn't "free", mind you.

Just in case anyone missed this comment, no worries about being a reputable source.

:mug:

Confirmed. Tyler (at Rebel Brewer) told me about this spinoff site in December. For those that aren't familiar with RebelBrewer, they are just awesome. Couldn't ask for any friendlier folks, great customer service and pricing...and now they're doing Fifty Pound Sacks! :D

That's how companies subsidize the "free shipping" offers. Roll the cost into heavier/bulk items to deflect the cost. His actual shipping cost isn't "free", mind you.

It's not, and if you are closer to Forrest, you are subsidizing his customers who are farther away. Not to get preachy, but this methodology does not result in an efficient use of resources in the economy and why I'm not a fan of flat or free shipping. Charge a reasonable markup and actual shipping and everyone wins, well, other than the guy up in Alaska who's shipping you are paying for.

Back