Montrache yeast for pumpkin wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conpewter

Reaction score
So I have a couple huge pumpkins left over that I didn't carve. I found this recipe for pumpkin wine

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques53.asp

and plan to make that. The only wine yeast I have is Montrachet and I don't really want to make a special trip to the brewstore if I don't have to. So will this yeast be able to ferment a whole 5 gallon batch? The recipe says the wine will end up at 18% with a yeast that can handle that much, or you can use a less attenutive yeast to get a sweeter wine (of course) It says cote des Blancs is a good yeast for a sweeter wine, wouldn't Montrachet be similar since it's supposed alcohol tolerance is 15%?

So I have a couple huge pumpkins left over that I didn't carve. I found this recipe for pumpkin wine

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques53.asp

and plan to make that. The only wine yeast I have is Montrachet and I don't really want to make a special trip to the brewstore if I don't have to. So will this yeast be able to ferment a whole 5 gallon batch? The recipe says the wine will end up at 18% with a yeast that can handle that much, or you can use a less attenutive yeast to get a sweeter wine (of course) It says cote des Blancs is a good yeast for a sweeter wine, wouldn't Montrachet be similar since it's supposed alcohol tolerance is 15%?

Sure, I'd use montrachet. In my experience, though, it stops at 12-13% ABV. What I'd probably do is use less sugar to start- and shoot for an OG of about 1.110 to start. Montrachet doesn't work well in a very high OG environment. Maybe try 2- 2.5 pounds of sugar per gallon to start, check the OG and see where you are. You could then try incremental feedings if you want to boost the sweetness and/or ABV.

Thanks Yooper! I'll do the sugar additions in stages to help the yeast out. Now I just have to find a way to grate that much pumpkin.

Also Montrachet and cote des Blancs are the same strain from what I have read. There are definate differences, but I think it will work out with the above modifications.

Heya, I was scaling up this recipe for a 6 gallon batch (want to end up with 5 gallon after all the racking and topping up of the carboy) but I was wondering about the citric acid.

I have acid blend and of course I have lemmon juice but no straight citric acid. The recipe calls for 3 oz of citric acid for a 6 gallon batch (does that seem like a lot?) and I was wondering what I could use to substitute, just acid blend instead?

Back