Pecan Pie IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreakinA

Reaction score
So for this holliday season I wanted to make a Pecan Pie IPA. When I think of pecan pie, I think of obviously pecans, vanilla, and molasses. Does any one have experience adding nuts mid boil? Or do you guys think ferment them with a muslin bag of pecans and secondary it on top of them? For the vanilla bean I was thinking add it for the last 20 minutes of the boil. I had a porter where I added it at 10 and it just wasn't enough. What is the best to get a good molasses in there? I am trying to do this for my first all grain recipe, so I am totally open to grains that add caramelly flavors. Does anyone think this beer will work?

So for this holliday season I wanted to make a Pecan Pie IPA. When I think of pecan pie, I think of obviously pecans, vanilla, and molasses. Does any one have experience adding nuts mid boil? Or do you guys think ferment them with a muslin bag of pecans and secondary it on top of them? For the vanilla bean I was thinking add it for the last 20 minutes of the boil. I had a porter where I added it at 10 and it just wasn't enough. What is the best to get a good molasses in there? I am trying to do this for my first all grain recipe, so I am totally open to grains that add caramelly flavors. Does anyone think this beer will work?
From what I have read, I would definitely stay away from molasses in a brew. How about vanilla extract at bottling? 2lbs of crystal (in a 5 gallon batch) might add a bit of caramel flavor.

I just did a pecan pie porter (bottled last Saturday). I put pecans in the mash, toasted pecans in the secondary along with vanilla extract (the real extract) and some dark karo (should have used molasses. Still awaiting the results - had a little astringency at bottling taste test, but we'll see in a few weeks.

Some friends did a vanilla porter last christmas, placing one vanilla bean in the secondary - it was the perfect amount - maybe the boil drives flavors/aromas of the vanilla off.

I don't think that an IPA makes a good base for a sweet, dessert oriented beer. Lots of hops + pecan pie just sounds a bit off-putting. Brown ale or porter would be better styles from which to start.

I don't think that an IPA makes a good base for a sweet, dessert oriented beer. Lots of hops + pecan pie just sounds a bit off-putting. Brown ale or porter would be better styles from which to start.
I could not agree more; dessert beer and IPA DO NOT go together. However, this discussion has got me thinking about a vanilla nut brown ale, or a vanilla maple porter.......

Dogfish head makes Immort Ale using juniper berries, vanilla & maple syrup. It went pretty damn well with a chocolate ice cream concoction my SWMBO got from Cold Stone. It is 11% ABV and 50 IBU.

While I do agree with Yuri on choosing a more appropriate style, perhaps a nut brown ale, I say do what you want. Thats the beauty of this hobby!

If you're looking to stay to style then IPA probably isn't the best choice.

I have to agree using Immort Ale as comparision is a great base taste to start with. As someone currently brewing and recreating a Pecan Pie beer regularly with REAL Molasses, vanilla, brown sugar and candied pecans it is great for the fall! Mine has a rich deep flavor and a sweet finish. With just enough bittering (IBU about 35) it's technically a baltic porter but with more body. The big advice i will throw out there is do not use the pecans anywhere but secondary and not raw...CANDY THEM!! we did not our first time and since pecans are bitter nuts it made the bitterness go way up. Also let it sit in secondary for at least 2 weeks and it will only get better as it ages as long as you hit over 7-8%ABV...anyway just my experiences....i love a good "pie" beer:tank:

Anyone else want to see BozZy's recipe? Man, I do; it sounds great. Can you post it?

Yeah i can get you guys one of the finished versions from beer alchemy when we brew our belgian on saturday. The version i think everyone would dig most is 8%ABV and a more pronounced alcohol taste up front than the current version. Although for winter it is not a bad alcohol hit. I will try and remember......man im gonna have to go get a growler from our home brewery after work now....mmmm beeeeer

Ok I totally understand that the bitterness would take over/out alot of the Pecan Pie features of the beer. What about a pale ale? I guess I just have to experiment with it, Im not a huge porter man myself, and noone seems to make crazy pie flavored 'normal' ales. I guess Ill give it a try and candy those nuts like stated.

i have to agree with Yuri...my goal on this one was specifically a porter/brownish ale which is why i settled on baltic porter...high ABV and rich flavor....basis of the idea as stated before was Immort ale and i'd also say Palo Santo which are both very malty with little to no hop flavor. Think about biting into a piece of pie, it's sweet, toasty and rich...not bitter. let everyone know how it goes cause if you accomplish a great malty brew with an awesome hop kick i know i want to hear about it! I love extremish brewing!

Back