Oregon Beer Tax Petition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmbrewernw

Reaction score
I just got this from one of the blogs I read, this is a petition to oppose the Oregon Beer Tax increase. Also here is the email of the lead supporter of the bill if you would like to email him, give em hell!!!

Well I don't live in Oregon so I don't think it would matter. And when was the last time that a petition actually changed anything.

well that may be true but I still sent and email to the congressman spearheading this thing. I've been burned by the government many times before but it doesn't stop me from trying to be irritating.

well that may be true but I still sent and email to the congressman spearheading this thing. I've been burned by the government many times before but it doesn't stop me from trying to be irritating.

Now there is nothing wrong with that. I just hope you didnt vote for the guy.

There's a hearing scheduled for the 23rd. I think this is the fourth or fifth year ridiculous increases have been proposed. Odd how the "justification" for the rise changes every year, but the numbers don't. If they want to adjust the tax for inflation since 1977, that would be only a 255% increase.

Yeah I don't think I would really have a problem with adjusting for inflation but the fact that some people in the government want to increase it by 1900% is just obscene.

Yeah I don't think I would really have a problem with adjusting for inflation but the fact that some people in the government want to increase it by 1900% is just obscene.

they were hoping no one would notice.

Luckily, some Oregon residents haven't fallen into a zombie-like stupor similar to that of the California Voter.

Oh I know a lot of pissed off people, I've been telling everyone I know about this plus it has gotten a ton of media coverage. The Green Dragon pub in Portland is having a Boston Tea party of sorts next Thursday to talk about the bill, write letters to congressmen, and have a ceremonial dumping of beer to show opposition to the bill.

Oh I know a lot of pissed off people, I've been telling everyone I know about this plus it has gotten a ton of media coverage. The Green Dragon pub in Portland is having a Boston Tea party of sorts next Thursday to talk about the bill, write letters to congressmen, and have a ceremonial dumping of beer to show opposition to the bill.

yeah.
KATU and KGW's websites are among my daily browses.
Mostly because friends of mine work there.

I would expect Rogue to do that with Green Dragon... perfect media opportunity.

This legislation has actually caused me to put a hold on my business plans.
I couldn't afford to move home and set up shop if this tax was in place.

I have written a letter to the reps, and hope they will respond.

Yeah that was one of my points, I'd really like to at least try to start a small brewery at some point in the near future and with this tax I'm not sure I would even think about doing it. Hell after it's all said and done even with current taxes you probably only end up with $20 at the most left in profit from a keg I should think, on second thought it's probably not even that much. Since in state law already requires you to pay OLCC taxes and to use a distribution business to get your beer off premise it's already damn hard to be a small brewer, I think that's why a lot of guys start off with pubs so they can sell where they produce. I don't really have an interest in the food side of things at this point so I'm kind of stuck distributing.

in all seriousness.

I was planning to open a meadery.
the vagueness of the legislation was a concern for me.

there are NO Meaderies in Oregon. If this passes, there will stil be no meaderies.

i figured out a way to set up a beer/braggot/mead license ... but this legislature would squash it.

guess I won't be moving back home anytime soon.

in all seriousness.

I was planning to open a meadery.
the vagueness of the legislation was a concern for me.

there are NO Meaderies in Oregon. If this passes, there will stil be no meaderies.

i figured out a way to set up a beer/braggot/mead license ... but this legislature would squash it.

guess I won't be moving back home anytime soon.

Don't mean to burst your bubble about being the only meadery in Oregon, but Chateau Lorane in Lorane, Oregon (southwest of Eugene) makes several varieties of mead. There is also Blue Dog Mead Company in The Dalles, Oregon.

That being said, there's plenty of room for, and I'd love to see, more places making mead :D. Hope this legislation doesn't make it through.

Back