What's the difference between Belgian beer bottles and wine bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
Like the title of the thread asks, I've been at Beer-Wine.com and they're the only place I found that has Belgian beer bottles and everything you need, including cork cages and corks. Is there really a substantial difference than one of these bottles and a wine bottle in regard to ability to withstand pressure? This might be asking for trouble, but is it possible to insert a cork into a 22 oz. bomber safely? I have access to a professional grade press-style corker and can control the depth of the cork insertion.

The reason I ask this is because I'm making a Saison and I figured it'd be a more authentic way to bottle it in some larger bottles with corks for cellaring. Would there be any distinct advantage in using Belgian beer bottles, wine bottles or corked bombers as opposed to standard 12 ounce bottles with caps when it comes to aging? I've never had a chance to observe any differences between the aging processes of larger and smaller quantities of beer.

No, do not try to cork a 22 oz bottle. Belgian bottles are similar to champagne bottles. They are made to withstand not only the pressure of the high carbonation, but also the cork and the cage. 22's might handle the pressure, but not the cork. Standard wine botles can handle the cork but not the pressure. Find either champagne bottles or belgian beer bottles.

As far as aging, natural cork is going to allow some oxygen to get in that will oxidize slowly over time. Synthetic cork won't, or at least not as much, I'm not a cork expert.

Belgian Beer bottles are thick!!! I have a number of the Maudite bottles and they use the traditonal corks and cages and I can tell you they are thick! I the necks are at least 1/4 inch thick. They also are very dark. I would suggest getting those. I know they are availible at the bigger online home brew stores but shipping might be expensive. Depending on where you are from you might want to try buying the beer and drinking it.

Back