two-row tap handle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFebtober

Reaction score
I carved this tap handle from a very-old piece of quarter-sawn pine I found in the basement (beautiful grain). It's a relief of the top of a stalk of two-row barley. I mostly picked this subject because it was within my skill level (as opposed to trying to carve a relief of a hop cone or buxom bar maid), but I also liked staggered-yet-flowing pattern. I left it with a pretty rustic/whittled look and finished it with several coats of clear varnish.

2-row-tap-handle.jpg

Searching didn't reveal that there was a thread for custom tap handles, so unless I missed it I suppose this could be the start of one (though I do recall seeing one for thrifty DIY tap handles at one point).

I bet others on here have done similar projects. Care to share them?

Thank you all. It took about a week or so to do: a couple hours a night whittling and then 24 hours between varnish coats.

This was kind of a one-off since I just used some scrap wood and I scavenged the hardware off another tap handle to make it. However, since I am planning on adding a second tap to the kegerator soon anyway, I'll let you know if I make any more. It was a fun project, afterall.

I think this is killer. When the day comes for me to build a keezer, I'd like to carve or make personalized handles as well.
Good job!

Back